Breville Dual Boiler (BES900) tripping power [video]

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Honker

#1: Post by Honker »

I picked up a broken dual boiler for free and was planning to see if I could fix it. I plugged it in and turned it on and the power tripped pretty quickly after. I opened it up and looked around for evidence of a leak but couldn't find anything. After this I left it alone for 2 weeks then tried to turn it back on hoping it had dried out. Again the power tripped a few seconds after it being turned on.

What happens:
Power comes on
after a few seconds the pump starts
sometimes the temp goes up by 1 - 2
then powers off.

I will attach a video link so you can see for yourselves. Any idea what this might be? Someone suggested the solenoid being the issue. I unplugged the three cables from the solenoid and turn the machine on but it still had the same issue

Video:

Honker (original poster)

#2: Post by Honker (original poster) »

Update: for anyone who is having a similar issue I narrowed it down to the heating element which is the 3 large probes that go into the steam boiler from the top. I unplugged those and the machine started without issue. Unsure of what caused the damage, I will replace them and see how it goes. If there are no more updates assume that replacing the probes has fixed the issue!

Advertisement
Shantastic
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Shantastic »

Hey,

I'm not sure if you've checked your error log, but that's a good place to start. If you haven't go to https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php ... odes-mean/ and you can see how to do it there. Simple procedure and might help you isolate things better.

Shan

WWWired

#4: Post by WWWired »

Honker wrote:Update: for anyone who is having a similar issue I narrowed it down to the heating element which is the 3 large probes that go into the steam boiler from the top. I unplugged those and the machine started without issue. Unsure of what caused the damage, I will replace them and see how it goes. If there are no more updates assume that replacing the probes has fixed the issue!
Hi Honker :)

The three probes are water level sensors. Each length corresponds to a different fill condition. By disconnecting them, you are not going to develop continuity and there fore the heating element will not be energized.

So yep, something in that circuit pathway is causing your breaker to trip. I don't think replacing the three probes is necessary just yet.

Do you have any photos inside your machine from the top down? Also do you have any photos or videos of the Triac PCB Assembly mounted under the top casing of your machine? Lets see if there are any signs of steam/water leakage anywhere.

Surprisingly if this a TRIAC PCB Assembly issue (caused by steam escaping from worn o-rings usually) the Triac is actually way cheaper to replace than those three Steam Boiler Water Level Probes.