Breville BES900XL won't preinfuse?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Reidspro

#1: Post by Reidspro »

Hi Everyone, I'm noticing the preinfusion begin and release some water but after a couple seconds no water comes out. Also noticing when doing this with a loaded portafilter the pressure stays right at 0 and doesn't go up to the 2-3 bar that is noted as preinfusion on the gauge. Checked the solenoid valve last night for clogs but it looks great and also not buzzing. Any ideas what's causing this?

Bought used and have the option for the repair/replace to get a 920 but this thing only has 1600 shots run through it and I feel like she's got lots of life left! Thanks for your help!

pcrussell50

#2: Post by pcrussell50 »

Hi Reid.

Failure to pre infuse is a rare one. But it does happen. It happened to my old -900 at about the six year point. And in all the years since I bought my BDB when they first came out, you are the third one besides me who had this, that I know of.

Just to confirm, set your pre infusion where you normally would, and "pull" a blank shot with a bare group and no portafilter. The clock should run but there will be no water until pre infusion is done. Sometimes you can get it to pre infuse by stopping the shot then re starting it. Eventually this won't work any more.

So how to fix? Over in the Aussie forums, a couple of smart blokes were pretty sure a new pump would do it. But for me it did not. They're cheap to buy and easy to swap. But no matter, it didn't work for me. That leaves the main board. And another smart Aussie thinks it's a capacitor gone bad. I think that's more likely too. If you're handy with that kind of thing you can probably do it yourself. I sent mine in and got a brand new machine.

As a new BDB owner you should book mark these two things: Breville Dual Boiler Mods and Maintenance

And the de facto owner's thread:
Breville Dual Boiler, five+ years on

Welcome.

-Peter
LMWDP #553