Breville BDB Steam Wand Connection Leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
thecoffeefield

#1: Post by thecoffeefield »

Hello,

I have a leak from the steam wand connection to the machine. This look developed in the last few days after I followed Peter's excellent explanation on flipping the steam wand seals. I also replaced all the o-rings with 007 nee ones while I was at it. All of this I did last week but today I noticed the leak from the steam wand connection, picture below. I know it's not a leak inside the machine because there is no hissing and the auto fill is not kicking in frequently to refill the boiler. Any help from the group I would very much appreciate.

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

It's strange that it's leaking there when it's not on... Once the water has gotten past the valve, it seems the easiest path out would be through the steam-tip if it isn't clogged. If you're sure it's that ball and socket joint that's leaking, open it back up and see if something is torn. If you're not sure that the leak isn't above and just dripping down to there, open the machine and look for the source.

thecoffeefield (original poster)

#3: Post by thecoffeefield (original poster) »

It's only leaking when on and steam works perfectly fine with no loss in performance. Steaming the same amount of milk taking the same amount of time as always

Spitz.me

#4: Post by Spitz.me »

Interestingly, mine just recently did this as well, but it stopped. I couldn't find a source of the water when opening it up. This wasn't even happening when I had a gasket issue and steam was spitting out the top of the steam boiler.

I have a steam wand that's been leaking from the tip for quite some time and so I decided I'd just keep an eye on this leak to see if it gets worse. It was very slow with few drips here and there and it only happened when the machine was on. However, maybe it just seemed like it was happening when it was on because I only ever noticed it when I was by the machine (see below).

It stopped about a week later though. So, now I'm thinking that I might have created the leak by over-filling the top portion while adding water and creating bit of a mess. So, maybe water got underneath the top cover and made it's way down? I don't know, but it stopped.....
LMWDP #670

#5: Post by thecoffeefield (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:Interestingly, mind just recently did this as well, but it stopped. I couldn't find a source of the water when opening it up. This wasn't even happening when I had a gasket issue and steam was spitting out the top of the steam boiler.
Same here, this leak never happened before even when the steam boiler was leaking inside due to o-rings (which I replaced). This leak is just weird.

#6: Post by thecoffeefield (original poster) »

Any other ideas as to what could be causing this? I don't think Peter is as active on these forums anymore, which is a huge loss to the BDB community

athoangphan

#7: Post by athoangphan »

How old is your machine? Depending on the age, it could have the same steam wand as mine does, which has the set up like this attached picture. There are two gaskets indicated by the arrows. Check there to see the condition of both gaskets.