Sunbeam E5300/Breville Barista Max - Water coming out steam wand when expressing coffee

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
90Ninety

#1: Post by 90Ninety »

So after a faithful year after using my Breville Barista Max , water has started increasingly coming out the steam wand, when expressing coffee through the group head . It started with a few spurts and now its a steady stream (about 100-200ml per cup) , and thus the pressure on express within the group head is decreased , and the amount of coffee within the cup is halved..

I couldn't find any other thread with this problem , so here it is . While I am good with a screw driver, my last two Machines ended up in landfill after several attempts at fixing them ( both had problems with bypassing the group head, water going straight to drip tray)

I dont think warranty replacement is an option , it is just over a year old now , not sure if I have receipt .

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

If the steam valve can't be fixed, you could block off the steam valve completely and keep the machine as a brewer...

If you examine the valve and see that you can fix it, even better.

90Ninety (original poster)

#3: Post by 90Ninety (original poster) »

Also for what it is worth , this machine is a rebrand of the Sunbeam EM5300. I amended the title to reflect this

Seems like the EM5300 is notoriously bad...

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by rhtrevino »

Is Breville in the UK a different entity than Sage, which seems to carry the same machines that are Breville branded elsewhere?

Nevermind...quick search confirmed that, yes, this is the case. https://homecoffeeexpert.com/sage-vs-breville/

90Ninety (original poster)

#5: Post by 90Ninety (original poster) »

rhtrevino wrote:Is Breville in the UK a different entity than Sage, which seems to carry the same machines that are Breville branded elsewhere?

Nevermind...quick search confirmed that, yes, this is the case. https://homecoffeeexpert.com/sage-vs-breville/

I think breville just badge engineered this machine , since there is no parts , unlike other breville models . I can find parts using the Sunbeam model name/number (EM5300) .

PITA ... The only parts I can find are from Aus / NZ ebay stores