Breville Barista Express 870XL Grinder Won't Start

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Scipio

#1: Post by Scipio »

The grinder on my 870XL suddenly stopped working. When I push the grinder button nothing happens. I've cleaned the grinder extensively (including remove the piece with the nut and felt washer) and it's completely clear of any grinds. Any troubleshooting advice?

slipchuck

#2: Post by slipchuck »

Try to take it apart and reassemble it
The burrs might not be seated properly

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

aww

#3: Post by aww »

I have the same problem - my grinder will not start when I push the microswitch with the portafiller. I think it may be the microswitch? I cleaned the grinder and still it does not start. I wonder if you were able to resolve your issue which sounds similar? If so, can you tell me how you resolved it? Thx

Lindber

#4: Post by Lindber »

I have the same issue. I determined the switch is working so ( I opened the back of the machine and test the microswich.) Be great if someone else who solved this problem could reply

slipchuck

#5: Post by slipchuck »

I also had the same issue. Solution? Bought a new grinder

Randy

sergei2020

#6: Post by sergei2020 »

I'm having the same problem with my BES870XL. So far, contacting Breville support was not helpful. They responded with the "clean a jam" instructions. But this is not what the problem is. I will appreciate any response.

Trevor54

#7: Post by Trevor54 »

Same problem: Yesterday it was grinding like a champ and this morning nothing happens when I press the micro-switch Anyone have any luck yet?

slipchuck

#8: Post by slipchuck replying to Trevor54 »

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. The fix was to buy a new grinder which I used when I got another espresso machine :)

Randy

Hunter44102

#9: Post by Hunter44102 »

OK guys here's how I fixed my 850XL that wouldn't start (nothing happens when button pushed)

I opened up the bottom of the unit. Remove bottom cover and loosen the power cord.

Remove the white box that holds the circuit board (two philips screws)

Up by the motor you will see the windings and wires and a thermal sensor.

All I did was use Q-tips and alcohol to really clean up the visible windings and wires and thermal sensor and kinda move the wires to get in between.

I also opened the circuit board box and cleaned it but it wasn't until I did the motor area that it started working again every time.

I hope you guys didn't throw these away!

Tankovic

#10: Post by Tankovic »

Might be stupid but i just found if the steamer is in the on position the grinder won't turn on so just check you didn't leave it on by accident