Brand new Rocket Mozzafiato Type V - Pressure issue

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jeanf123

#1: Post by Jeanf123 »

Hi all,

I just received this brand new machine this Friday and i have a lot of problems with it ...

First when I try to fill the tank and put it back in place, a lot of water start to leak under the machine without having in turn on. I had to give a call to the place I bought the machine and they asked me to open the machine and see if a hose was unplug. Of course it was the case. I was not too much disappointed (may have occur during the travelling). I turn on the machine wait a good 30 minutes before doing anything to be sure it is warm. No water leak at this point. Then the fun sarted ...

I tried almost every grinding setup, tamping pressure, using a scale each time to have between 16-18 gram but I'm unable to have a brewing pressure over than 2 bar on the right gauge after 3 pounds of coffee. After like 20 seconds of extraction, the boiler gauge show 2,5 bar what make no sense at all.

My grinder is a Ceado e37j and even with the finest adjustment i'm still having a weak pressure on the right gauge. The flow is slower but the shots look like water.

I'm pretty it might be an adjustment with the machine or a defective part. Very frustrating for a machine of that price ...

I owned a breville barista express for 10 years and never had any issue. With this one in less than a weekend i had these 2 problems... i'm really concerned about the reliability of this machine ...

If somebody have any idea to have this solved without sending it back to the store it will be very appreciated

cyclezib

#2: Post by cyclezib »

The gauge on the left side (which you circled) is for the boiler pressure. The gauge on the right is your brew pressure.

Have you tried to put in the blind basket to see what the brew pressure becomes?

If you put in the blind basket, after you flip the brew lever and the brew pressure raises to ~ 9 bars, then the problem is not the Rocket, it is with the rest of your process i.e., age of beans, amount, grind size, tamping, etc. If you don't reach brew pressure of ~ 9 bars then you have a problem with the rocket.

Advertisement
PeetsFan

#3: Post by PeetsFan »

The yellow arrow is pointing to where water will drip when the machine heats, and other times. This is normal.

As mentioned above, just put in the blind basket and pull a shot for ten seconds, observe the pressure reading. It should hit 9 bars.

Bluenoser

#4: Post by Bluenoser »

However, the boiler pressure that you circled is too high.. It should be in the green section. You have a pressureStat that should keep the boiler pressure between about 1 to 1.5 bar.. .so something is amiss there. I'm not familiar with that model to know if/how you can adjust the boiler pressure manually.

Jeanf123 (original poster)

#5: Post by Jeanf123 (original poster) »

Thank you all for your answer !

Even with the blind basket on the brew pressure didn't go up for more than 2 bar. After like 5 seconds the left gauge (boiler) start to inscrease than the right gauge start to increase until like 2 bar.

See with this video i uploaded on youtube

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising »

Your brew circuit is leaking into your steam circuit. It could be that your boiler-fill solenoid is leaking or your heat exchanger is cracked.

Contact the retailer.

#7: Post by Jeanf123 (original poster) »

Hi all, the machine seems to be finally good.

After having some back and forth with the retailer, we notice that the HX was over filled with water. They ask me to close the ball vale (red and black switch inside the machine) them i completely emptied it with the hot water wand.

The i put back the reservoir in place.

After, with the blind basket in place the pressure came to 14 bar. I had to manually adjust the brew pressure with a wrench until my blank basket showed 10 bar.

The retailer told me that the ball valve should be closed when operating the machine. Open position should be for maintenance ... can somebody confirmed that information ?

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

I would say no.
Closed for setting the expansion valve, open for working normally. But it's not hurting anyting to leave it closed and let the expansion valve do the job of both.

The Boiler was overfilled, not the HX. That's why the boiler gauge was spiking. The reason the boiler was overfilled is because the HX water is somehow getting in to it. It was clear as day in your video.
If it's all good now, then that's good. It may have been the boiler-fill solenoid stuck open and it has properly seated itself. Use it cautiously for a while. Stop it if you see the boiler pressure begin spiking like that again.

homeburrero
Team HB

#9: Post by homeburrero »

I concur with JRising here. It may be that the service people have some experience that makes them prefer to close the ball valve (#1 in your pic) which takes that small expansion valve (#2 in your pic) out of the system, then adjust the HX expansion valve (#4 in your picture) to limit brew pressure to ~9 bar, but surely that's not how this machine was designed.

This ball valve and the two expansion valves have caused considerable confusion. In this thread: OPV on Rocket Cellini V2 is confusing, Andrew Meo of Rocket was quoted as saying:
The valve you mention is solely for the pump pressure gauge on the vibration pump machines.
Closing the valve allows for the technician to correctly set the expansion valve
As a vibration pump pressure is regulated by the expansion valve setting, a pump pressure gauge is not strictly necessary. This valve allows the by pass to be correctly set while indicating the pump pressure. The valve should be set as it was when you received.
This is a very incomplete explanation, but does imply that the valve should be open normally and closed when you want to set or check that #4 expansion valve.

The intended purpose of the #4 valve is clear. Note that it is on the HX side of the check valve #3. When water in the HX heats up it is trapped there by the check valve and a slight thermal expansion of uncompressible water could cause a dangerously high pressure if not bled off by that valve .

Many HX machines with vibe pumps just use that one valve for both the water expansion function as well as the 9 bar max brew pressure limitation, and that's pretty much what you have done when you adjust it there and close the ball valve, functionally taking your #2 valve out of the loop. Rocket machines with rotary pumps, which limit the 9 bar brew pressure at the pump head, don't have this ball valve and second expansion valve.

That smaller expansion valve, #2 in your pic, is referred to as 'slim expansion valve' or 'expansion valve 9 bar' in Rocket parts diagrams. See Rocket Giotto Type V brew pressure inconsistency/adjustment

P.S.
Many people refer to these expansion valves as OPV valves.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#10: Post by Jeanf123 (original poster) »

Thank you guys for all that explanation and help !!!

I also had another problem but with my Ceado E37J grinder. I had to change the adjustment gear to make my coffee finer. Even at 1 with the factory setup, I was unable to had a pression higher than 4 bar even if i pushed like a crazy on the tamper.

Now I finally have wonderful espresso shot !!

The only things remaing mysterious for meI ... while the machine is warming up, the right gauge increase to 9 bar even if the lever is to down position. When i activate the lever 4-5 second it goes to 1-2 bar than increase again to 8-9 bar. Now with the blind basket the right gauge increase to 9 bar.

Have any clues on that ?

Thanks again for all your tips and helps

Last thing