Brand new ECM Classika II leaking

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
erviodm

#1: Post by erviodm »

Just received the machine, plug it in, 5mins after I found out that was leaking water, unscrew 4 bolts and found this:
Other angle :
Tried to tight it up, but I cant, I also cant unscrew it.

Any help?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

That's the lower half of the E61 syphon loop. It's possible the fitting was loosened from vibration in shipping; more than likely a half-turn will seal it. For reference, here's a diagram:

From E61 Group Espresso Machine: Detailed Interior Schematics
Dan Kehn

erviodm (original poster)

#3: Post by erviodm (original poster) »

Thank you for your help, can you mark on that diagram what part should I try to tight up?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I provided that for context, but it's really straightforward. It's the nut on the fitting that's leaking. Of course, it helps to have the right tools.
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by erviodm (original poster) »

My bad.

I tried to tighten it, but the screw doesnt move anywere. But I will try again tomorrow a standard 21mm wrench. Today I used a french wrench

Thank you again

Giampiero

#6: Post by Giampiero »

I would contact the seller.
Anyway, i suggest you to loosen a bit first and then tight, but not exaggerate or you risk to break the pipe.

#7: Post by erviodm (original poster) »

I contact them as soon has I found it.

They ask me to tight it, but yesterday I can't. I will try to take the pipe out to check if everything is sealed.

Thank you

#8: Post by erviodm (original poster) »

Done, unscrew the bolt and found out one hole on the weld.

Next step, send the machine back to the seller.

Should I ask for a new machine, or if they want to repair it, should I ask for 10-20% off, because it will be a refurbished machine and a bought a new one

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Without photos it's hard to follow what happened, but I assume the end fitting on the lower syphon loop was damaged/defective?

As for repairs, how you handle it with the seller is your decision. In the US, most vendors prefer to offer parts/repair support instead of shipping a machine back-and-forth, since shipping itself risks damage. In this specific case, it may be as simple as replacing that copper tubing, which is easy to ship and replace.

But if you don't want to deal with it, you could ask for a refund. Vendors in the US would be reluctant to replace your existing machine with a "brand new" one, since they're concerned it's shipping damage that may well happen again -- then they'd be stuck with two used machines (and zero profit when all is said and done).

As an aside, your espresso machine is light enough for box shipping, but I've learned for the heavier ones, ship it on a mini-pallet, even if it costs 2-3x more. I've received equipment that was right up against the maximum box shipping weight for UPS/FedEx and it was a small miracle in packaging that they arrived undamaged.
Dan Kehn

#10: Post by erviodm (original poster) »

I don't want to replace the tube, alot of time involved and the price I paid was for a brand new, not a defective one to be repaired. In European Union we have a law that in 14 days we can return this type of equipment back and we dont have to give any reason.