Bought a La Cimbali DT1 on eBay, UPS damaged it

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
F9zSlavik

#1: Post by F9zSlavik »

I haven't received the product, long story short, was shipped on the 19, lost for 3 days, rushed to get to San Diego from the other side of the country, was due for delivery on the 26, and while out for delivery, it was sent back to the warehouse due to the package being damaged. They were going to review it, then send it out again. Was due again to be deliver yesterday, was never sent. And is now RE-DUE for another delivery on Tuesday of next week.

Wanted to see if anyone has any experience getting a espresso machine via UPS and them damaging it. Are these machines expensive to repair?? She cost me 700 plus tax and shipping, 900. Super angry and bummed out about the product.

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

You're angry about the product? That damned product that couldn't withstand abuse and got itself damaged???
Yes, yes, Damn Cimbali and their terrible machines. They should be made to withstand being impaled by the tip of a lift-truck's fork so that when they're re-sold, even the trained apes at UPS can not damage them.
What an awful product, indeed. I would never buy one. UPS would lose or damage it because it's such an awful product.
(Please do note the sarcasm. I have worked for Faema, there's nothing wrong with the products that Cimbali puts their own name on).

In a more reasonable answer, "No, they're very inexpensive to repair if you have some patience and basic understanding". If you're willing to spend the time to properly examine and clean everything important, they cost some time but very little money.

F9zSlavik (original poster)

#3: Post by F9zSlavik (original poster) »

lol
I'm quite fond of Cimbali! Even bought a Casadio for good measure! I even have a Cimbali grinder! ;p
I am angry at UPS for screwing this up. It will arrive on Tuesday, and I am probably overreacting here. Not fond of receiving expensive products damaged, much like the next guy right? lol Hopefully, if it is damaged, it will be an easy fix.

Assuming nothing feels loose inside, would you look for something specific before turning on the machine?

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

No, to be honest. The fastest way to find out what's not working is to watch it try to work. Just be ready to shut the water off once you turn it on... If you don't have to shut the water off, be ready to un-plug it once you turn it on.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Take lots and lots of photos. Start with the package on your doorstep, unopened. Document with the seller (and eBay, if purchased through their service) so hopefully the seller can help with any shipping-damage claim that might need to be filed.

Ypuh

#6: Post by Ypuh »

Sounds like an issue for the UPS-forum.
I don't want a Decent

F9zSlavik (original poster)

#7: Post by F9zSlavik (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Take lots and lots of photos. Start with the package on your doorstep, unopened. Document with the seller (and eBay, if purchased through their service) so hopefully the seller can help with any shipping-damage claim that might need to be filed.
Thank you for the recommendation! I did exactly that. Sadly the unit came in pretty damaged. Huge dent on the back pushing inward, front panel is pushed forward as if it's guts pushed outward, copper pipes on the knobs are partially bent, base of the unit is warped (twisted) and one corner is pushed in. The amount of parts, time and money I would need, don't think it's worth it. Already opened up a claim to ups/ebay. We will see what happens. I would post pictures but they would need to be censored due to how terrible it looks.

That being said, found a Simonelli Mac 2000 in Pheonix, looks similar, hard to tell from the pictures but it looks as small as the Junior. 700 bucks isn't bad for it I think. I don't know much about that unit or the brand, I'm going to do a little research.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by LBIespresso »

Jeff wrote:Take lots and lots of photos. Start with the package on your doorstep, unopened. Document with the seller (and eBay, if purchased through their service) so hopefully the seller can help with any shipping-damage claim that might need to be filed.
I did this when my Kafatek Max showed up on my doorstep in a very sad, poorly treated box. It was quite banged up. The grinder inside looked worse and was packed with nothing more than brown paper. The Kafatek standard foam AND labeled box were nowhere to be found. Denis was glad I had all of the pictures for him to submit. He also sent out a new grinder that very day.

Good rule of thumb, if a box shows up on your doorstep looking bad, start taking pictures right away and all of the way through opening.
LMWDP #580

Randy G.

#9: Post by Randy G. »

It is astounding some of the packing jobs I have seen. One recent one as a 24" cube box with a Hottop in it. A bit of bubble wrap around the roaster and the rest of the bubble wrap loose in the box. The box was a single-layer, thin corrugated, and so poorly taped that I could slide my hand into the box, under the flaps with very little effort. Best part- I was told that they paid a commercial printing/packing local company to pack it.

But as many people have found, the shipping companies rarely will honor the insurance unless the packing is done precisely to their standards. Something like an espresso machine needs to be double boxed with a number of inches of dense foam around all sides. Best to have it on a mini pallet.

But who goes through all that when you can have a minimum wage professional at a 'real company' pack it for $30. :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done