Boiler Insulation

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jeff423

#1: Post by jeff423 »

Has anyone tried the insulating tape made for automobile exhaust manifolds for an espresso boiler?

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

It will work fine, but it's not very good insulation. I have a couple of rolls I intend to install on one of my machines. I assume it's a lot better than nothing, but not as good a proper insulation. Certainly looks nicer and is less messy.

stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

One brand name we keep see over and over in more and more machines
(example Silvias,Vibiemme Rocket etc etc)
is called
FONITEK, (black layer on the outside white foam inside)
so far we see it only from Italian suppliers
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

jeff423 wrote:Has anyone tried the insulating tape made for automobile exhaust manifolds for an espresso boiler?
The white fibreglass type will shed and will make the area around the machine a prickly mess forever as it will never get hot enough to set.

The gold/black/grey-coloured kind won't have the setting issue, but all of those wraps are for heat radiation levels that an espresso boiler will never see. Wrap would be pretty much useless as an insulator compared to the materials normally used - wrap is too porous and too thin.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jeff423 (original poster)

#5: Post by jeff423 (original poster) »

The white foam with black adhesive backing is what I'm trying to replace. I'm replacing the boiler on my Quick Mill Alexia and it seems to have been insulated with that. The white foam has deteriorated and just crumbles now and I don't know if I want use that again. Chris Coffee sells it but doesn't currently have any and won't until Mid-late Jan (theirs comes from Italy so it's probably the same stuff). McMaster Carr has some closed cell silicone but would probably cost $150.
I'm tempted by the melamine but don't know how it is to work with. My machine is only on for 60-90 minutes per day so I don't really know how important it is.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

BTW, Olympia Cremina header wrap the boiler

Insul-bright (trade name) is readily available and inexpensive at sewing/craft stores (much more expensive on Amazon for some reason) - it is often used in home-sewn oven mitts. I've used it: A little note on boiler insulation in the Olympia Club
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jeff423 (original poster)

#7: Post by jeff423 (original poster) »

Thanks for that info and links. It seems like there may be more options than I originally thought.

randytsuch

#8: Post by randytsuch »

I used Melamine Foam Insulation from Mcmaster, #86145K21.

Some info in this old thread Boiler Insulation Where To Buy

Easy to work with

Randy

stefano65
Sponsor

#9: Post by stefano65 »

Apparently fontek is
Fonitek è una melammina espansa
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Keep in mind that some manufacturers of DB saturated groups do not insulate their brew boilers. Probably to maintain a lower Δt between boiler and group.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"