Blue water after descaling... - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
OldNuc

#11: Post by OldNuc »

A penny is only a copper plated zinc blank. It will dissolve rather nicely.

There is no such thing as gentle descaling.

hankbates

#12: Post by hankbates »

This is a good case for descaling as infrequently as possible.
Per Dr. rpavlis recommendations about 5 years ago I have been using only distilled water buffered with potassium bicarbonate and have seen neither blue water nor any sign of scale in any of my machines.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

OldNuc

#13: Post by OldNuc »

In the big boiler world periodic acid cleaning, or AKA here descaling, is considered a gross failure of ongoing boiler water chemistry control and a boiler service life reducing event. Continuous water treatment and monitoring is setup to minimize corrosion and scale formation. Unfortunately it also makes the water toxic. The advice from Dr. Pavils to use distilled water buffered with either sodium or potassium bicarbonate is very sound. The idea in the espresso world to recreate the horrid European water quality of 50 years ago is almost beyond comprehension.

hankbates

#14: Post by hankbates »

OldNuc wrote:The idea in the espresso world to recreate the horrid European water quality of 50 years ago is almost beyond comprehension.
What gets me is that we have a whole sub forum "Water" which beats this subject to death.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

OldNuc

#15: Post by OldNuc replying to hankbates »

Confines the periodic beatings to a specific location so as to not splatter all over the place. :wink: