Bezzera Strega S- Broken Pump?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
AnthonyA98

#1: Post by AnthonyA98 »

Good Afternoon all,

Long time reader here but first time poster. I decided to buy a Bezzera Strega S (tank version) about 8 months ago after a year of reading nothing but good things about it. That being said I love the machine and the coffee it makes but I have suddenly had a problem with it that I am not sure of, about a week ago I went to make a coffee and the machine would not activate the pump like normal after I switch it on. The machine turns on and everything but the orange light does not turn on and the vibration pump does not activate to fill the boiler. I took the covers off and had a look around the inside and everything looks good.

I notice that when I pull the lever down (tank full of tap water and machine turned on) the orange light then turns on and it sounds like the vibration pump receives some sort of electrical current (best way I can describe it). The vibration pump still doesn't activate or pull any water from the tank or boiler but it sounds like the lever, when pulled down, is sending or activating some sort of electrical current with the pump as it makes a faint noise.

Thanks in advance, Anthony.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

You may be experiencing a poor circuit in the water tank, so the machine thinks the tank is dry. There are two screws on the side of the tank that make contact with two wipers in the machine. Unplug the machine, clean and pull the wipers so they make a better contact, and jiggle the tank until all the lights come on.
Jim Schulman

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
AnthonyA98 (original poster)

#3: Post by AnthonyA98 (original poster) »

[*]

#4: Post by AnthonyA98 (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:You may be experiencing a poor circuit in the water tank, so the machine thinks the tank is dry. There are two screws on the side of the tank that make contact with two wipers in the machine. Unplug the machine, clean and pull the wipers so they make a better contact, and jiggle the tank until all the lights come on.
Good afternoon,

Thank you for the reply Jim, I cleaned the wipers and moved the tank around but had no luck. I even switched out my tap water to bottled water with a high mineral content and nothing changed.

Thanks again,
Anthony.

JRising

#5: Post by JRising »

You are actually hearing the pump hum, but it isn't pumping... So the machine is working, so long as the hum isn't something else like a solenoid valve.
You might want to clarify. If the pump is humming, the machine is sensing its water reservoir, but the pump is either seized or completely stalled.
You could try taking it completely apart and removing whatever is in it that has seized the moving part and seeing it it works afterward, if it is only stalled, that will give it a chance to lose the back pressure so that you'll hear it work for a moment after reassembly until it stalls again.

#6: Post by AnthonyA98 (original poster) » replying to JRising »

The noise is more or less a faint buzzing sound. I did notice that with the lever down i could feel vibrations when i touched the pump as well as the solenoid valve so there is something going on internally, still the pump doesn't turn on or activate. Another weird thing i did notice is that if the lever is kept in the down position for a couple minutes it does sprinkle a small amount of water when the lever is brought back up. Is there a guide or video i could follow as to how to take the pump apart? My apologies as i am new to this, i have never done work on any type of espresso or coffee machines before.

Thanks in adavnce,
Anthony.

JRising

#7: Post by JRising »

With the inlet hose pulled off of the back of the pump and the wires pulled off of the electrical connections, the thermal protection (On the wire) will slide out of the pocket it's in... Then holding the priming valve/damper/elbow/whatever is on the outlet of the pump with one wrench you can rotate the outlet of the pump with a 12mm wrench to unscrew it from the priming valve/elbow/damper/whatever... It doesn't matter if the pump rotates along with it. Once separated, slide it out of its rubber loops. Once out of the machine, take the 2 philips screws out that hold the pump to its metal body and everything will begin sliding apart. Once the middle of the pump is out of the electrical coil, the two halves separate with a push-twist/pull like a bayonette fitting.
Once it's in your hands, disassembly is obvious. Just lay the parts in order so reassembly is easy.
Or, as most would say, just replace the whole pump.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision

#8: Post by AnthonyA98 (original poster) »

Thank you! i started taking it apart, hopefully i can fix it. i took a video of the issue as well, i will share it on here as i feel i am not explaining it great. thanks in advance, anthony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHolH_xhIo