Bezzera BZ10 portafilter alignment

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
odessit

#1: Post by odessit »

Good evening everyone. I need your help. The portafilter as you can see in the picture doesnt align in midline. the point where it would lock in was progressively shifting to the left and now in this position the water just starts overflow when I try to make espresso. I cleaned up the portafilter housing but is still doesnt go in all the way till midline. Would love to hear your opinions

DeGaulle

#2: Post by DeGaulle »

Check if the gasket has been inserted properly. If it is a conically shaped gasket, the flat side should face the grouphead and the portafilter rim should lock in against the beveled side.

If you still get water overflow, the gasket doesn't seal. Lock the portafilter in without the basket and move the handle past the 6 o clock position to position it. Note that the stock gasket on the BZ10 (9,3 mm thickness), when new, locks in tightly and you will only be able to move the handle to the mid position when the gasket has worn in.
Bert

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

TIP: To properly seat the gasket, remove the basket from the portafilter. Place the gasket on top of the portafilter and gently insert into the grouphead. Pull up on the portafilter with a rocking motion to seat the gasket. Once the gasket is inserted enough to engage the portafilter ears into the grouphead slot, tighten the portafilter enough to push the gasket the rest of the way (not too tight as you can damage the gasket with the unprotected edge of the portafilter). Remove the portafilter and reinsert the basket. There should be enough clearance now that you can engage the portafilter with the basket in place and tighten the rest of the way. If you have some Dow 111, a dab of it may help seat the gasket more easily.
Dan Kehn

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE »

DeGaulle wrote:Check if the gasket has been inserted properly. If it is a conically shaped gasket, the flat side should face the grouphead and the portafilter rim should lock in against the beveled side.

If you still get water overflow, the gasket doesn't seal. Lock the portafilter in without the basket and move the handle past the 6 o clock position to position it. Note that the stock gasket on the BZ10 (9,3 mm thickness), when new, locks in tightly and you will only be able to move the handle to the mid position when the gasket has worn in.

Doesn't the flat side face outward and rounded edge face inward? At least that's how my e61 has always been!

I don't think mine would fit in the other way around.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

DeGaulle

#5: Post by DeGaulle »

Eric S. asked this specific question to Bezzera about the BZ grouphead and they advised accordingly (can't remember which thread). Anyway that's how I changed out my gasket the last time. I am not sure how it works out on an E61.
Bert

RyanJE

#6: Post by RyanJE »

Was it this one where he reversed that?

Bezzera BZ02/Livia 90 Portafilter Gasket Too Tight(?)

Could also be the wrong size?

DeGaulle

#7: Post by DeGaulle »

Hi Ryan,

Actually this was the thread where I read about the gasket positioning.

Hint for easy E61 gasket/shower screen installation

Cheers
Bert

odessit (original poster)

#8: Post by odessit (original poster) »

Where can I buy a new gasket? If i will remove it I would rather put a new one in
PS Thanks everyone for response

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE replying to odessit »

Have you tried companies that sell Bezzera like WLL and such? I switched to cafelat silicon gaskets got em off amazon.

odessit (original poster)

#10: Post by odessit (original poster) »

To be honest with you I would order from amazon I just dont know the size of the gasket i need.