BES980XL steam boiler not refilling after descaling

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
WaJo

#1: Post by WaJo »

Hello,
The steam boiler is not filling up water, I noticed this during descale process, where no water came out when turning the right valve. The issue remained even after existing descale process. My machine is stuck heating at 70 degrees Celsius. The boiler is not being filled with water.
Any idea how i can get the steam boiler to get filled with water?
Machine: Breville Oracle 980XL.

cftarnas

#2: Post by cftarnas »

This happened to me. I followed this advice for the BDB and it worked like a charm:

TLDR: the descaler messes with how the water level sensors work. Open the machine to Pull a wire on a sensor, open the steam valve. Make sure you have a full reservoir of water then turn on the machine. The machine should start to fill the tank, wait until water starts to come out of the steam wand. This will make sure it's all flushed. I let it run for a bit to make sure it was flushed. I then drained and ran a plain water descale. Be careful when draining the over-full boiler, it's a lot of water, iirc it came close to overflowing the drip tray.

WaJo (original poster)

#3: Post by WaJo (original poster) »

I tried to apply the recommendation described but i am unable to pull the temp sensors as described. it seems the post is for 920 not 980 model.

WaJo (original poster)

#4: Post by WaJo (original poster) »

I am unable to pull out the temperature sensors they seem to be welded. any hint how to pull them out?

Jake_G
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G »

Photos will help us help you.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

cftarnas

#6: Post by cftarnas »

WaJo wrote:I tried to apply the recommendation described but i am unable to pull the temp sensors as described. it seems the post is for 920 not 980 model.
I have a 980 and it worked well for me. You just need to pull the wire from the sensor, not the sensor itself. I've attached a photo I took when I had my Oracle apart. Pull the blue wire by holding the black connector, and pull in the direction of the blue arrow. You may want to hold the sensor itself (where the pink arrow points). I believe I used needle nose pliers.

WaJo (original poster)

#7: Post by WaJo (original poster) »

Thanks! Managed to pull the temperature sensors. But unfortunately, the solution didn't work for me, the steam boiler is not filling up.

cftarnas

#8: Post by cftarnas replying to WaJo »

Do you hear the pump running? It takes quite a while. You can check if water is going to the steam boiler by opening the steam boiler drain while the pump is running - water should come out. Also make sure the steamer is opened in the manual setting so the pump doesn't have back pressure. It took quite a while for water to make it to the steam wand, much longer than I expected.

If the pump is not running at all, then you may have a blown thermal fuse below the boiler. From what I understand that is a cheap part, but hard to actually replace.

WaJo (original poster)

#9: Post by WaJo (original poster) »

It doesn't seem that pump is working, water is not draining through the mentioned process. Does it matter if i take red or blue sensor?

cftarnas

#10: Post by cftarnas replying to WaJo »

I don't think it matters, but you could try the other wire. Do you hear the pump at all?