Barista Lights on Rancilio Silvia

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
xtophr

#1: Post by xtophr »

I finally got around to adding barista lights to my V3 Silvia. Since my steam valve needed to be rebuilt, I just ordered the kit along with the parts since espressoparts.com was having a year end sale.

As you can see in the pics, I selected placement of the two LEDs in each of the front corners. My reasoning being that the light emitted would shine rearward toward the working area and also because I have mounted my PID under the front panel.

Installation was straightforward as I decided to connect the AC supply side of the transformer to the switched side of the main power switch. This means that the barista lights will be on any time Silvia's power is on. The lights are wired in parallel with the output side of the transformer, the connections clearly marked. I used crimped butt connectors for this. The transformer was mounted vertically on the operating side next to the 3-way solenoid valve behind the stainless front panel cover. I used an existing protruding stud to place the bottom of the transformer and double sided industrial sticky foam to fasten the top in place.

Voila!

Ciao,
Bradentucky, FL

Stanic

#2: Post by Stanic »

Cool, these are really helpful

lloydalvarez
Supporter

#3: Post by lloydalvarez »

That looks great! I just moved my grinder to the other side of my machine and can't see that well now so was considering something like this but can't really have them be AC powered, wonder if they come battery powered as well.

xtophr (original poster)

#4: Post by xtophr (original poster) replying to lloydalvarez »

As can be seen in the fourth picture, the output of the transformer is 12 volts dc at 1.5 amps. The barista lights are sold separately, so you could try it with batteries, but why would you when your Slayer is already plugged into ac? It just seems that you could seamlessly integrate the lights to switch on and of with the machine power.
Ciao,
Bradentucky, FL

lloydalvarez
Supporter

#5: Post by lloydalvarez replying to xtophr »

The lights would be for the grinder not the slayer and it's the running of the cables that's the issue not the ac power source.

xtophr (original poster)

#6: Post by xtophr (original poster) »

Ah! In that case, maybe just find a more task oriented solution for your beautiful grinder.
Ciao,
Bradentucky, FL