Baratza Sette 270Wi mess

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Reini

#1: Post by Reini »

Hi my grinder is less then one year old. The coffee when grinding the coffee powder is flying around and produces a mess! So far I thought it is cause by the so many different coffees I tried. Now I found out on the housing when touching i feel a slight electricity and therefore the grind gets uploaded like static electricity? Please help

AssafL

#2: Post by AssafL replying to Reini »

If you feel electricity (slight buzz feeling) it probably isn't static. Static can create high voltages (strong electric fields which cause coffee to stick) but very low charge count (in coulombs). That is why static can be felt as a shock but (unless created by huge clouds or Van De Graff generators) are usually safe.

Buzz requires some current to pass through you (low current <<1mA), and that endless supply of current means a low resistance path (unlike static which needs a very good insulator to hold the charges from dissipating).

Are you touching a metal piece? If so it isn't static.

BTW - Coffee static on insulators is even worse since electric charges can occur under the surface. At that point they are stuck pulling on coffee but without being discharged.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

Even the metal adjusting rings on a Sette are mounted in the plastic-burr-holder section of the motor assembly, so there's really no external metal on a Sette that could possibly be accidently live to phase, unless some internal wiring is very out of place. So I believe you're talking about static electricity.
All grinders build up a little bit of static when grinding, that's why you see metal grates or tightly strung metal wire across the outlets of many grinders. The older the beans, the drier they will be and therefore the worse they will build up static. On a Sette, where the grinds basically free fall after passing the burrs, I don't know what could be done to make it better. Maybe turning up the humidity in your house is the best bet.

Bluenoser

#4: Post by Bluenoser »

How often do you clean your grinder? Have you removed the bottom burr carrier and scrubbed out all the old coffee? I have found large bits of beans trapped inside my Sette. What is the humidity level in your room? Sounds unusual you'd get that much static.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

I agree with Dave, something's not right. I've lived in Thailand and now live in a semi-desert. Coffee static here in the desert with my Sette is minimal at the most...simply not a problem. When we lived in Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore it was generally much more humid. We had zero trouble with static on our grinder (not a Sette) over there. Alas, I'm at a loss to suggest anything, as these grinders are so incredibly simple that there's virtually nowhere to go wrong. In terms of coping, I do have a suggestion, two actually. First is don't overdose your basket. The Sette produces incredibly fluffy grinds and if you put in too much it does spill over. Second, if you do want to dose to the max, just put a piece of cloth over the top of the bottom of the grinder (i.e. the foot). It will catch any stray bits and you can just shake the cloth out over the sink; this is what I do when I overdose.

Reini (original poster)

#6: Post by Reini (original poster) »

Thanks for your suggestions. I sure it isn't static. As it isn't very high voltage. It's more like the feeling like touching with the tongue 9 volt battery. I unplugged the grinder now it's gone also when plugging in again.
I am pretty sure it is some kind of electricity! Does Barista has service station in Thailand or a shop near Pattaya!
Regards
Reinhold

AssafL

#7: Post by AssafL »

High humidity can cause some leakage of mains across insulators. Not enough to be dangerous (unless some ions are added to the water). But enough to be felt.

If double insulated it is a likely cause. If not than a faulty protective earth.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

Reini wrote: It's more like the feeling like touching with the tongue 9 volt battery. I unplugged the grinder now it's gone also when plugging in again.
I am pretty sure it is some kind of electricity! Does Barista has service station in Thailand or a shop near Pattaya!
You feel that when touching it where? The black plastic? The grey plastic? The arms that hold and weigh the portafilter or basket? The buttons of the faceplace?

Is your powercord possibly damaged or your outlet not properly grounded?
The thing I picture is that the coil for the load sensor could be broken and in contact through the aluminum, possibly shocking you through the arms. But now I'm just grasping at unbelievable possibilities... Does the weight function still work?

slybarman

#9: Post by slybarman »

Electricity issue aside, the simplest way I found to keep the area around my Sette 270 tidy is to leave a small plastic tupperware cup on the rubber base under the portafiler holder. That catches 90% of any stray grounds.

Reini (original poster)

#10: Post by Reini (original poster) »

The funny thing is I felt it on top of the black housing where there is a small gap between this two parts. I know it sounds silly (plastic) and electricity! ?? But I am 99% sure. Unfortunately its gone now and the coffee doesn't stick any more to the metal part. It seams it comes and goes. On youtube I found a video which shows similar results as mine but even much worse!