Baratza Sette 270wi grinds in cup, not in portafilter

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
SD Rick

#1: Post by SD Rick »

When I place a porta filter on the two prongs, at best the grinder will grind a couple seconds and stop. Often pressing the start button does nothing. If I unplug it and use the dosing cup it works. Any thoughts or suggestions?

(I have reached out to Baratza but they did not answer the phone and have not responded this week to my email).

boren

#2: Post by boren »

Is the portafilter perfectly leveled? Is the grinder placed on a stable table/surface?

Davi-L

#3: Post by Davi-L »

Yep, My Sette W1 won't grind on a thin metal table top. But works reliably on the butcher block to one side. It's the hidden vibration that stops it.
D

SD Rick (original poster)

#4: Post by SD Rick (original poster) »

Yes, it is stable on a granite counter top.

I just realized that to grind in the cup, the holder is spread wide and it works. When I rotate to the narrow position for the portafilter it will not grind or only grind for a few seconds. It seems as it has something to do with rotation of those arms or the weight of the pf?

boren

#5: Post by boren »

You might want to adjust the portafilter hook to ensure the portafilter is held leveled and is stable.

#6: Post by SD Rick (original poster) »

Thank you Boren.

I did watch this video and thought I set it up correctly but I will try again and make sure. It could very well be that the hook is not exactly correct.

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by daveR1 »

when setting up my 270wi, i found it sensitive to

1) being level on a stable countertop, so no vibration throws off the weight measurement

2) upper hook adjustment holding the PF with right amount of pressure to hold it level & in place on the PF forks. this involved a bit of experimenting to find the optimum setting.

#8: Post by SD Rick (original poster) »

Yes, my problem was due to incorrect portafilter hook adjustment. I was trying to use a funnel on top of the portafilter, but it is too unstable no matter how the forks are adjusted. In addition, there is very little clearance for any but the thinnest funnels.

For the time being, I will just dose into the supplied cup. Far less waste and mess. I have seen some custom-made slotted funnels that would work in the 270. Anyone have success with these?

boren

#9: Post by boren »

The 270Wi dose to cup workflow is excellent. No need to use a funnel, RDT or WDT. Just grind, do a few horizontal taps to flatten the mound, knock the portafilter down a couple of times to compact the grounds and tamp. Optionally use a leveler tool before tamping.

If grinding for a double shot creates a mess without a funnel, configure the grinder preset to half the weight, then grind once, remove the portafilter and knock or tap it once. Finally put it back in the grinder to grind the second half of the dose.

#10: Post by SD Rick (original poster) »

For sure, dose to cup is very nice with his grinder.

I will give your suggestion a try dosing directly into the portafilter at 50% dose at a time.

I am going to try a blind shaker and it would be nice to dose directly into it rather than the stock cup and see how that goes.