Baratza Sette 270 adjustment ring issues

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
IGFXH2077

#1: Post by IGFXH2077 »

Hello everyone! This is my first post, so i hope i'm not being a hindrance.

I just got a brand new baratza sette 270 delivered to me today and the adjustment ring doesn't seem to click properly, it only ends up on odd numbers such as 5, 7, 9 etc and there is no way for me to go in between numbers. It seems to me that it is skipping steps?
Is there anything i can do about this or should i return it and ask for a refund? This is my first espresso grinder and it's disappointing to get a lemon right off the bat, i had an encore before that, and i never had issues with it.

Should i even bother asking for a replacement?

Blernsball

#2: Post by Blernsball »

I had this exact problem on mine when I got it. For a while I assumed it was an odd quirk of the grinder. It's not. The issue is that one of the two ball detents that the ring clicks into isn't working correctly. That is why it only seems to work on the odd numbers and feels mushy.

Contact Baratza, they will send you a new pair. It's easy to change them yourself, search for "sette 270 detent" and you'll find Baratzas guide.

After changing them it should work properly.

Annoying for a new grinder, but it was less hassle then going through a return and hoping the next one was fine.
★ Helpful

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

IGFXH2077 (original poster)

#4: Post by IGFXH2077 (original poster) »

problem is i don't have spare detents. i'm still waiting for baratza to come back to me.

also, i wanted to try to uninstall the current detents using a paper clip but was unable to do so, they seem to be stuck inside the plastic so i wonder what's gonna happen next?

Also, it's a brand new grinder fresh out of the box, i should not have to repair it this soon in its lifespan. i spent more than 500$ to get one, it should work period.

#5: Post by IGFXH2077 (original poster) »

Blernsball wrote:I had this exact problem on mine when I got it. For a while I assumed it was an odd quirk of the grinder. It's not. The issue is that one of the two ball detents that the ring clicks into isn't working correctly. That is why it only seems to work on the odd numbers and feels mushy.

Contact Baratza, they will send you a new pair. It's easy to change them yourself, search for "sette 270 detent" and you'll find Baratzas guide.

After changing them it should work properly.

Annoying for a new grinder, but it was less hassle then going through a return and hoping the next one was fine.
how long does it take for them to reply to their tickets? i sent them a email early last week and haven't got a reply yet, the only thing i got was an automated email with a ticket number. i was expecting a quick reply since that's pretty much what people told me to expect. I guess it only applies to US customers?

Blernsball

#6: Post by Blernsball »

Just looked up the emails they sent me. They replied to me a day later. Maybe try calling.

The detents are a ball inside a plastic tube. The whole thing should slide out. Downwards. Paper clips can be a little soft to push hard enough.

I wouldn't take them out until you have the new ones on hand. One of mine got a little mangled pushing it out.

#7: Post by IGFXH2077 (original poster) »

Blernsball wrote:Yeah, email responses can be slow. I think it was about a week for me. Maybe try calling.

The detents are a ball inside a plastic tube. The whole thing should slide out. Downwards. Paper clips can be a little soft to push hard enough.

I wouldn't take them out until you have the new ones on hand. One of mine got a little mangled pushing it out.
that's unfortunate that email tickets take longer to get a reply, as a canadian customer, calling their US number will make it so that my call provider will charge me a lot of money as my contract does not allow foreign calls. I spent a little more than 500$ on this grinder so it's definitely frustrating to have to repair it right out of the gate.

i'm considering giving up and returning it as i feel like a brand new 500+$ grinder should just work

Blernsball

#8: Post by Blernsball »

Just looked and it was actually only a day to get a response. Maybe email again?

Agreed though, it should just work out of the box.

#9: Post by IGFXH2077 (original poster) replying to Blernsball »

ouch.... now i feel like i'm being ignored by baratza. doesn't inspire confidence when the company responsible for making the appliance doesn't reply to you. it has been a solid 6 days already. i was expecting better of them looking at all the positive feedback.

At this point, all i want to do is stop fighting and give up. I will probably contact the seller and try to find a way to return the grinder and get it fully refunded. It's obvious baratza isn't gonna help me with this.

Grizzley

#10: Post by Grizzley »

I just got a new 270 Friday night, set it up, pressed the start button, and pop!/spark, a wisp of smoke, and... no grind spin. The LED panel works fine, so it's not the fuse, and I checked to make sure I had the 2 safety switches engaged. Very frustration. Just like you, it's a new machine, it should work. Can't be bothered with repairs.