A Baby Lusso Needs Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
IMAWriter

#1: Post by IMAWriter »

A few of you may know, after 5 years of bliss, I sold my lovely 1981 Olympia cremina 67. It was a sad day when I packed her up, sadder still when the purchaser emailed me an "OMG" type message.
Yes I'm happy HE'S happy, but the last 7 or so weeks have been HE!! (!!)

This situation has, unfortunately led to $4 (plus a buck for the barista) cappas for my daughter at a local cafe, and the fact I've been forced to (oh the shame become a LURKER on several lever threads.

Well, one of HB's more knowledgeable (and apparently sympathetic) members, drgary, apparently had enough of my impotence on this Forum. More importantly, he considers me a FRIEND.
Knowing I'm cash short, he PM'd about an auction with a Buy It Now for a swell looking Riviera Baby Lusso (circa 1990), priced at $150. Even though unfamiliar with this machine, I took the plunge.

Thankfully, she arrived unscathed, thanks to the fact the seller heeded my packing instructions to the letter.
Not a mark or blemish on her. Missing the the drip tray cover, but the rest shining like brand new.
The steam arm swivels beautifully.

The seller had mentioned it had twice been in storage for years, so I expected to replace some seals/gaskets, etc. He did say when he fired her up there were no leaks.
Well, not true.
After doing the Joe Glo thing on the provided single basket and PF, I decided to fill her up, turn her on, and check for leaks before doing a little vinegar in the boiler.
(I like to first taste the water out of the group and steam wand when the water is slightly cooled, which gives me some feedback on what's possibly living INSIDE the boiler.)

Well, within 30 seconds, I had drips out the double spout. A quick call to the wonderful Christopher Cara (where this machine was originally purchased) confirmed that the piston gasket were most likely the cause.
Dropping the piston out of the group visually confirmed this. BTW, the piston chamber and piston was dirty, but not unduly so, and was easily cleaned.

From Chris Cara, I've ordered a new PF/group gasket, the piston gaskets, seals for the steam wand (just in case), an OEM double basket, and a used cover for the drip tray (which barely IS a drip tray :lol:).
New the cover is $75, used, $25.
Hopefully, the parts will arrive Wednesday.
I'll post pictures in the next installment, and progress as I progress.

I'm still hoping to eventually get a commercial style machine, but I must say I'm happy just to be back from being lever-dead to being a lever-HEAD.

crazy4espresso

#2: Post by crazy4espresso »

That's great! Looking forward to the pics and progress updates!
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

Javier

#3: Post by Javier »

I must say I'm happy just to be back from being lever-dead to being a lever-HEAD.
Welcome back to lever land, Rob!
LMWDP #115

IMAWriter (original poster)

#4: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Ah, you guys are so kind.
Can't wait to get it going.

Miami_AJ

#5: Post by Miami_AJ »

congrats, I look forward to the pictures

#6: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Here are a few pictures.
First, as part of a Baratza "love thang."

#7: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

The piston dropped from the group as is. I removed the old gaskets.

#8: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

The piston after some TLC.
It's brass, just doesn't look like it with my crummy phone camera thing.

BTW, Mr Cara, son of the most respected Thomas Cara doesn't actually have a web site.
A quick Google search will find him. Just in case you can't find the # it is (with HB permission)
(415) 781-0383.

BTW, Not to "disinclude" (as they would say on MTV) Doug and Barb, I ordered cleaning supplies from OE. :D

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#9: Post by orphanespresso »

We are crossing our fingers for you RJ....there are quite a few different seal sizes and combos in all the Riviera machines. A 1990 model may use a different setup than the current Baby. But the situation will surely be revealed in good time :) .

#10: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

The boiler cap is most unusual, as you can see. Upon reading some Googled source info from Zacconi, I was led to believe it was a "pressure relief" cap. Thus, I wouldn't have to to bleed the steam wand to relieve the false pressure, allowing the Baby to reach it;'as proper brewing temperature.

Not so, I was told. It functions as a release of pressure ONLY if the temperature exceed a certain limit.
So, 2 steam wan bleeds before grinding and pulling.
From what I read on another HB forum, these won't be monster shots by volume. The lever has a "short throw." Much less top to bottom distance. Like an MGB gear shifter. I have a feeling I might be performing a Fellini, or even a double pull.
Still, I love short, rich shots so Baby just might be the ticket. I prolly pulled as many Cremina sings as I did doubles.
Sheesh, I'm still "lurking" not pulling. :lol:
At least it's MY thread that's being lurked.