A Baby Lusso Needs Restoration - Page 12

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
peacecup

#111: Post by peacecup »

It looks like these folks sell a round O-ring for a PF gasket, like you had originally. Maybe if it is thick enough it will work better than the flat ones:

http://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/zacconi.html

There must be some way to keep pressure in there and coffee out of the boiler. Then it should function like any other manual lever, give or take. The design does not look as robust at the Pavoni, however, since it seems much more difficult to maintain properly. I can't imagine the Baby offers any better espresso than the Pavoni either.

You need to hold one hand on the PF handle when applying pressure, but I guess you know that now. Even though it is rare, any machine can pop off the PF. I don't always follow the rule, but I try to.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

drgary
Team HB

#112: Post by drgary »

Thanks, Jack. I really did a very soft pull. I do have the o-ring but it wasn't holding pressure with that. I have gasket material and a circle cutter, so my next step is to prepare an adequate shim under the portafilter gasket, and this time when I test it there won't be a breakable cup underneath! :roll:

BTW I obtained this machine because I'd offered to review one and had a chance to get it at a very reasonable price. I'm happy with my La Pavonis and am gathering various levers for the meetup at my house on June 15 and then will sell some gear to get a really good roaster.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

drgary
Team HB

#113: Post by drgary »

Solved?

The stock portafilter's too small or at least it locks in off center and slightly crooked and loses its seal. I discovered this by shimming gaskets and inspecting and seeing that the stock portafilter kept lodging off center. One time while trying to turn it in to snug down a portafilter gasket the PF popped out again.

Well it's handy having other machines with 49mm PFs. The Coffex didn't fit but the Elektra Microcasa a Leva does. The outer rim is a little larger and the tabs just slightly wider. It snugs up nice and centered when you lock it in. I just pulled a shot rich with crema and was able to apply the kind of pressure on the lever I use with La Pavoni. So there it is. And the o-ring gasket originally supplied by Christopher Cara works just fine.

That's my theory tonight anyway. Tomorrow I'll look into why the stock PF locks in out of alignment.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary
Team HB

#114: Post by drgary »

By the light of day, the stock portafilter now works too. I tried the stock portafilter after comparing it to the MCAL one and finding that the tabs are only 2/3 mm wider in total on the MCAL and the body of the portafilter is similarly wider. This isn't much. Also there isn't a lot of wear on the ears of the Baby Lusso portafilter.

It locks in centered now that I've shimmed the o-ring portafilter gasket. I did this by adding a ring under the o-ring cut from thin Teflon and adding a couple of layers of Teflon tape as a guesstimate. I was able to make a decent pull and will try it for the next couple of days to confirm this. These difficulties have indicated the main problem wasn't with the piston gaskets but with the portafilter gasket needing to extend far enough that the portafilter creates a secure pressure seal and is locked in place. If you have one of these machines and there are drips through the shower screen, five to seven of plumber's tape will adequately shim the piston gaskets, but be sure to avoid tearing the edges when you reinstall. Reinstallation is accomplished by turning the machine upside down and rotating it there while making sure the leading edges are tucked into the cylinder.

Many thanks to Bernardo (bmb) for pointing me in the right direction, although with my machine it may not be a matter of wear on the group or the portafilter but of properly fitting gaskets.
Gary
LMWDP#308

bmb

#115: Post by bmb »

I'm so glad I could help !
It's really rewarding being able to make a tiny contribution to all the valuable, and most generous knowledge that I always obtained from you and all the other more experienced colleagues.

drgary
Team HB

#116: Post by drgary »

After more testing and fine tuning shimming the only portafilter that works well with my machine is the MCAL. Taking out all portafilter gasket shims and using the o-ring portafilter gasket it works perfectly and reliably well. I just ordered one from Stefano's Espressocare so when I sell this machine the new owner will simply enjoy it.

Added: Here's when I tested this machine. It looks odd but a new, chrome Elektra PF is on the way with a black handle. To test this thing I used a plastic food container and a small steel cup just in case the portafilter blew loose like the stock one did. Not so with the Elektra PF. It's solid.

Gary
LMWDP#308

IMAWriter (original poster)

#117: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

As a former owner of this machine, I'll say it is even prettier in person. A lovely little machine from all angles.
Gary, I'd be interesting in the approximate shot volume. As we both lost some of our shots to the boiler, I'll betcha, without Fellini it will do maybe 25-30ml? True Italiano style short shots. I Love those things, and did MANY singles in my former Cremina to replicate what I had in Italy so many years ago. They cheated, using maybe 40% Robusta, sometimes more. :roll:

drgary
Team HB

#118: Post by drgary »

Shot volume on a single pull is small and is limited by the lever travel and group design. And I agree it's probably optimized for a strong tasting dark roast where that would make the perfect capp or produce plenty of crema for a single. I keep some of the Thomas E. Cara private blend in the freezer to try some of these machines that seem to be designed for a traditional dark roast. It has robusta in it for sure. Then again the basket size on the stock portafilter is large for such a small shot volume, easily accommodating 17 gm. Typically now I'll do at least three pulls unless I want to use the singles basket. I haven't measured the capacity of that but it looks quite small. Thinking of double and single baskets for this machine and a strong emphasis on a hefty, swiveling steam arm, the single is probably for a straight espresso and the double is for multiple pulls to dose a cappuccino. With the Elektra double basket it will even make a larger capp. Someone told me Italians tend to prefer cappuccinos in the morning and only go to small, straight shots in the afternoon. Perhaps someone reading this can tell us if this is true.
Gary
LMWDP#308

lesterp

#119: Post by lesterp »

That's how it is. Order a cappa after lunch and you will get stink eye (a macchiato is ok).
drgary wrote:Someone told me Italians tend to prefer cappuccinos in the morning and only go to small, straight shots in the afternoon. Perhaps someone reading this can tell us if this is true.

drgary
Team HB

#120: Post by drgary »

So, the saga left off where I substituted an Elektra Microcasa a Leva portafilter for the Zacconi one that came with this machine. I kept the portafilter because it works with my Olympia Express Coffex and Cremina. Years later, one of our members was seeking a vintage Zacconi portafilter to complete a restoration. I measured it and took photos in case it would fit. The measurements differed. But one of the photos showed the reason for the malfunction addressed in this topic. Here it is. There is a significant portion of the bottom of one of the tabs that has worn away.

Gary
LMWDP#308