Astoria SAE Junior (CMA/Laurentis/RIO) Refurbish Log - Page 5

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Billc

#41: Post by Billc »

Nick,
The ground I was referring to is not for the motor but for the fill circuit. The only function for the RL30 is autofill for the boiler (turns on pump and valve). The RL30 is really a capacitance sensor similar to a touch screen. The probe is one end of the sensor and the ground is the reference. So if there is a disturbance, like water touching the probe and connecting the probe to the reference then the capacitance circuit, though a bit more complicated, activates a transistor that in turn allows current to flow to the relay that activates the pump and fill valve. The way to check this circuit is to force the connection of the probe to the reference or touch the probe wire to ground.

The motor should also be connected to the frame for a ground. This is because the power cord should also be grounded to the frame. The motor will run without a ground. The ground for the motor is only for safety in case some stray voltage appears on the case of the motor. It just allows a path so it can go somewhere.

Just so you know, I was an engineer for La Marzocco for close to 10 years. We also made some machines with the RL30 controller.

You can google Gicar RL30 to see where they are sold. They usually sell for about $175 or so. There are several places that sell the RL30 up here in WA. If you have trouble finding one send me a PM.

BillC

scoomer2000

#42: Post by scoomer2000 »

Hi, new to the home barista, was searching astoria junior and your post came up. Did you by chance buy your astoria from tommy at natural market?

Greg

Advertisement
godlyone (original poster)

#43: Post by godlyone (original poster) »

No, why?

websurfer68

#44: Post by websurfer68 »

I have an astoria Laurentis from 1993. It is a 2 group. Mine has those 4 button grouping for getting shots. My question is, HOW do I program it? There is no switch by the sight glass for programming. I have not been able to get my hands on a manual (even thru espressoparts.com) We have gotten ours refurbished and cleaned up. Maybe I'll start a separate thread and post pictures of our venture (tons of scale and yuck we went thru).

So, if you have any ideas on this one, help would be much appreciated!!

You can email me at flanderslori at gmail.com

Thanks!

Psyd

#45: Post by Psyd »

On the Argenta line, the switch is located on the front part of the frame where the right steam valve is mounted. Just to the left of the steam valve (note, *not* the knob, on the fascia of the machine, but the actual valve on the frame, under that fascia) is a small toggle switch. Some other Astorias have the switch on the brain box.
You might be able to see it looking down from the top, through the slots in the warming tray ledge (the part that is above the groups, not the part that is above the boiler) or looking up with your head resting on the drip tray.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175