Arcing switch Rancilio S24

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
wrichad3

#1: Post by wrichad3 »

I have had problems with rocker switch failures on my 2004 Rancilio S24, with main switch arcing and melting.
Switch life is about 2-3 years
I am hearing the brew switch pop and feel it is getting time.
Is there any known way to buffer this arcing, possibly with a capacitor circuit?
It is not a hard repair , but has gotten to be a tedious flaw
One more jolt, Warden. He's still twitching.

Davi-L

#2: Post by Davi-L »

Hello,
Buy a better grade switch. Rated at least for the power draw of your machine. And replace the wire terminals on it with better grade ones too. They can overheat the switch when you are not looking.

Dave

Advertisement
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

If you want your machine to look stock, with original switches, the easiest way is to install an RC snubber circuit. But IMHO the best way is to buy a relay that can handle the current with capacity to spare and then use the switch to operate its coil. If you want to get really fancy then use a solid-state relay...no arcing at all.

wrichad3 (original poster)

#4: Post by wrichad3 (original poster) »

The stock Everel B4CNT switches are clearly not up to the job, and the connector blocks may have had bad connectors ,too, and should be rebuilt as there was arcing as well as overheating noted at this spot. in fact, they could be causing the failure. Ah, Italian electronics.
SS relay sounds like the thing to do less of a hassle than trying to smooth it any other way, and screw type connector blocks a more elegant way to put things together, and there is plenty of room to work with in the box

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

https://docs.rs-online.com/404c/A700000006545889.pdf

Looks like B4CNT is the connector, with the switch having a different part number. It looks like nominally a 22 x 30 mm cutout, from that spec sheet.

That looks like a common size from https://www.carlingtech.com/switch-type

.866" x 1.182" (22mm x 30mm) for the RGSC-Series and LRGSC-Series switches

You might peruse some of the data sheets to find a suitable replacement from another manufacturer.They would probably be in the $3-6 range. Ten of 'em for less than an SSR.

I just purchased the SSR used by Quick Mill (and many others), Crydom (Sensata now) 84137011, for their home units through Mouser for $60.28 plus under $8 for shipping. You should confirm that this will meet your needs prior to ordering. Mouser also has high-temperature FASTON insulators; TE Connectivity 1969632-1 (straight), 1969507-2 (flag). I periodically replace the original ones in my machines that have discolored or disintegrated from heat.

A suitable heat sink is required for an SSR. Quick Mill mounts them on the inside, bottom of the unit, which may not be the best as far as dissipating heat and protection from water. Thermal paste is required; what you might have left from installing a heat sink on a CPU is fine (assuming it's not all gummed up). Suitable compound should be under $10 from a component supplier or through an supplier of computer components (as "thermal compound" or "thermal paste" or the like).

nahau

#6: Post by nahau »

Jeff wrote:I just purchased the SSR used by Quick Mill (and many others), Crydom (Sensata now) 84137011, for their home units through Mouser for $60.28 plus under $8 for shipping.
Newark is cheaper, (edit for current price: $42.63), for the same thing... although, Newark actually shipped me a Crouzet which is the same SSR currently on my Quickmill. Cydrom and Crouzet are probably the same company.

https://www.newark.com/search?st=84137011

As Jeff mentioned, be sure to check compatibility. Also, in my thread about parts in general, is the faston connector covers sold by Mouser.

Quick Mill Andreja Premium check valve o-ring, spade connector cover, and other things

wrichad3 (original poster)

#7: Post by wrichad3 (original poster) »

Thanks , Jeff
The switches melted the connector, the B4CNT , and the B4 switches are easy to source, just arc and fail melting themselves and the connector.
I'll see if I can nab the connector block as it begs miss-wiring to go without it, but I have had no luck looking for several years.
I can ID the Everel catalog listing in : https://docs.rs-online.com/404c/A700000006545889.pdf, but not find any vendors.
Not through searching, not through Rancilio, not through Everel
hopefully I'll find one before the next switch failure, which should be in about 6 mos , the way things have been going.

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

wrichad3 wrote:Is there any known way to buffer this arcing, possibly with a capacitor circuit?
You can also just use a switched power bar with surge protection and leave the machine always 'ON' or for timed operation just use a Wemo plugged into the switched surge protected power bar with the machine always 'ON'.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"