Another Zacconi La Riviera Refurb with Questions

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mjferg

#1: Post by mjferg »

Hello,

With the help of past threads, I managed to fully disassemble my Zacconi La Riviera this morning. Overall, the machine is in decent shape, but I do have a couple of issues / questions, as I am fairly new to espresso machine work.

1. The boiler is the main area where I have questions. As you can see in the attached pictures, the 2 bolts that come out of the bottom of the boiler to bolt it to the base have sheared off (prior to me getting the machine). Any thoughts on just leaving as is and using just the the large ring to hold the boiler to the base? Other thoughts?

Answer: I think I will leave it alone for now. If I have issues when using it, I will pull it back apart and tap the boiler and braze in some brass studs.

2. What is recommended to descale the inside of the copper boiler (outside appears to be nickel or chrome plated). Can I soak the whole thing in some kind of solution, or will that wreak havoc on the outside finish?

Answer: I soaked the entire boiler in a 50/50 vinegar mix for 2 hours and it worked perfectly.

3. What is recommended to descale the lines that were inside the boiler and/or the heater element?

Answer: I soaked everything in a 50/50 vinegar mix and it worked perfectly.

3. I am thinking of putting a plug in the bottom of the boiler (drain line) where the line leading to the fitting to allow plumb in was connected. I don't see any need to reconnect this line. Does anyone know what size brass fitting might be used here? Are these fitting common sized that I can find in the US, or are they metric?

Answer; Plug is a 1/8" bpps fitting.

That's all I can think of for now. I have some work to do on the outside of the boiler and the base (may end up powder coating the base, tbd).

Thanks for any help.

Mark

mjferg (original poster)

#2: Post by mjferg (original poster) »

SO... my progress pics. Re assembly should start tomorrow.

mjferg (original poster)

#3: Post by mjferg (original poster) »

Pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Marmot

#4: Post by Marmot »

Wow! It looks brand new!
What did you do to the brass parts? Did you grind and polish them?

By the way, your machine has an appearance in the movie "The Fly". :mrgreen:

mjferg (original poster)

#5: Post by mjferg (original poster) »

For the brass, first I brass wire wheeled each piece on a bench grinder to strip the old lacquer finish. Then I polished each piece on a bench top Baldor polisher with white polishing compound. Had to do a bit of hand polishing with Brasso in some hard to reach areas on the group head and the lever handle fitting, but not much. Finally, coated everything with 3 coats of VHT high temp gloss engine clear finish. All in all it was pretty easy.

For the boiler, cap, and base, I used barkeepers friend and soft rags to remove what was left of the lacquer finish and the copper plating under that to get down to the chrome. Only took about an hour in total for all three pieces. I was shocked at how easy it was to get it all off. Then same routine with the Baldor polisher.

Descaled everything, all new seals, sight glass, and power switch. Lots of fun for about 2 days total time.

Thx for the link to "The Fly"!

Marmot

#6: Post by Marmot »

Thank you for the detailed answer!
I have to do the same with a copper/brass Pavoni and Mcal and your result is really motivating :D

mjferg (original poster)

#7: Post by mjferg (original poster) »

Best of luck - it's a fun project.