Another Elektra Maxi 2G project

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jyl

#1: Post by jyl »

Now working on a second Elektra Maxi 2G. This one is from 2000, semi-auto, looks to be in much better condition than my first project was initially. Has the nicer valves, I'm jealous.

Seller reports the hot water valve leaks, my largest wrench is 22 mm and the valve needs 23 mm and 24 mm, so I'm stuck until I can get to the tool store. Pulled group bells off and cleaned them up, that's enough progress for one day.

I'm not doing the full teardown, restoration, repaint, polish on this one.

For one thing, it may not need it. Cosmetically it looks pretty nice as-is. Internally, the seller reportedly went through it, descaled the boiler, etc and hopefully we'll find that was true so that the machine doesn't actually need a full teardown.

For another thing, I'm not keeping it. I'm going to give it to my friend who is a small commercial roaster and plans to start a little shop. I'll just have him reimburse me for my out of pocket, which is only $200 so far. I'm hoping the machine will cost him $500 or less when all is said and done.

So I'm just going to get it working and then it will go to its next life in a small coffee shop here in Oregon. Then, if it earns its keep for him, another Elektra will be out there in the wild! If his shop is successful and outgrows this machine, I guess it might live in his roasting shed as his test machine.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.