Alternative replacement handle for La Pavoni Europiccola

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
civ

#1: Post by civ »

Hello:

I have three EPs, one in use and the other two patiently biding their time.

About three weeks ago, the PF handle of my stock AR made 'Shirley' model EP broke.
Not unexpected, after all it's from the mid to late '60's.

See It's a Pavoni Shirley!

As the guy who does my lathe work is quite ill, I decided to postpone the turning of a new set of handles in brown Micarta and set about looking for a replacement set. I had once seen a post here at HB about lever handles being available from McMaster-Carr so there I went.

They had what I needed but for some export law related reason, they do not accept orders from abroad.
Unfortunately, this is a policy that is not stated anywhere in their web site.

The end result is that a day or so after I placed the order they sent me a short e-mail letting me know of this particular and unstated policy in a most unpolite manner and without as much as a 'we're sorry for the inconvenience'.

An unwelcome waste of my time.

So after some searching on the web, I came across a company called J.W. Winco Inc. that happened to have the handles I needed for both the PF and the lever and at a much more reasonable price that McMaster-Carr.

They are Italian made from what seems to be bakelite by a company called Gamm s.r.l., located in Montecchio Maggiore (north IT).

Questions were answered promptly and politely by their sales staff and I proceeded to order them on-line, paid for them with my VISA card, got the stuff shipped as I requested and everything arrived at my doorstep here in Buenos Aires, Argentina (thanks to the good old USPS) in just under a fortnight.

They also sell in Canada, so it's an interesting thing for those Cannucs who have a hard time getting things from below the border.

So ...
For any of the EP users out there who may need replacement PF or lever handles:

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section4/mc/index.html

The PF handle is the part number 6136030 and costs $5.45 ea.
http://estore.jwwinco.com/default.aspx? ... de=6136030

The lever handle is the part number 6136060 and costs $2.29 ea.
http://estore.jwwinco.com/default.aspx? ... de=6136060

The old pre-millenium EPs such as mine have levers rods with a a M12x1.75 thread and the PFs have a M10x1.5 thread.

YMMV, so I suggest these thread sizes be checked before ordering.

Cheers,

CIV

Edit: " ... from the mid to late '60's", not '90s.

aasemkhan

#2: Post by aasemkhan »

Thanks for sharing. Definitely a link to keep handy.

Advertisement
civ (original poster)

#3: Post by civ (original poster) »

Hello:
aasemkhan wrote: Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome. =-)
aasemkhan wrote: Definitely a link to keep handy.
Indeed ...

I've also noted that these handles (at least the lever rod handle) have a distinct resemblance to the ones used in the well known (and very expensive) Olympia Cremina, but as I said, the thread sizes have to be thoroughly checked.

Cheers,

CIV

civ (original poster)

#4: Post by civ (original poster) »

Hello:

Finally had a moment to take photos of the PF and lever handles to which I was referring to in my original post.

Sorry for the photo quality, it's early morn and the lighting is not the best for this camera.

Cheers,

CIV