Acaia Lunar Scale issues

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jax67
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Jax67 »

My relatively new scale (maybe a year old - purchased from a member here) has developed a mind of its own.

When I put it in my Linea Mini (metal tray has cutout for scale to sit down in it - see photo), it fluctuates up and down, and doesn't stay at 0, even when a cup is on it and not moving, and nothing dripping.

Even when sitting on the counter, with nothing on it, it shows weight fluctuating up and down small amounts of 0.2-0.3g

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Things that come to mind are low battery and EMI. Lightning is a common culprit. I had a battery charger that caused issues with another scale. Pretty much anything with electronics in it or a plug-in power supply can be a source of EMI. Do you have a problem if you try it in different rooms? With the lights off?

Advertisement
kushkush

#3: Post by kushkush »

Try separating the body and seeing if the wiring is not tied down properly inside the unit. I was going mad over the same issue. Turns out one small wire was out of the clip and causing tiny fluctuations.

Jax67 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Jax67 (original poster) replying to kushkush »

Not sure how to do that?

Will recharge battery tonight but dont think its low.
While sitting untouched, reading fluctuating by 1.2g

Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bmccall »

Mine was doing that because my battery was "bloated". I had to send it in to acaia to have it replaced.

Moka 1 Cup

#6: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Can the Lunar withstand frequent showers of hot water or do you keep it there only while pulling a shot?
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to Moka 1 Cup »

No. It can't. If you do that it will bloat the battery. They do have a good replacement program that's around $30. They used to let users do it but no more.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Advertisement
Jax67 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Jax67 (original poster) »

Took my scale apart today. The battery is definitely 'bloated'. Hence the scale won't even sit flat.
Anyone know if can buy the battery on one's own? Don't really want to ship to Acaia and be in their queue, when simply need a battery.

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

When I needed to replace a bloated battery, I put the number on the battery into Aliexpress.com and got lots of choices.

Paris92
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Paris92 »

The fact that this seems to be a common issue (bloated battery) is a bit disturbing for this price point and use case.

I also find mine very difficult to stay on program. The touch pressure when changing programs, turning it on/off, etc. seems to be either very sensitive or not sensitive enough to the same touch pressure. Maybe that is a setting I have not looked into. Pressing twice to shut it off changes the program setting on mine, rather than shutting it off, more often that not.