'84 Pasquini Livietta Refurb - Parts?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

Just picked up an '84 Livietta which seems in good overall condition. However, all seals and gaskets are dried up and there's scale throughout. Machine looks like it's been sitting a long time. It has the FOT pump and the accordion stat, and the 54mm group.

The element had no shorts or opens, thankfully. Not surprisingly the pump just sorta clicks. The only rust is on the water reservoir bracket and should clean up OK, might need painting. Even the feet are good. Unfortunately one of the rocker switches had deconstructed.

Other than the portafilter gasket, haven't found much in the way of parts availability. Any tips greatly appreciated. Will update as the rebuild progresses.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Try Cerini for parts:

http://www.cerinicoffee.com/espresso-pa ... parts.html

Some of the parts are common to the Cremina, and Orphan Espresso will likely have these. But it seems like OE is out of the spare parts business as far as the HX models are concerned.

cuppajoe (original poster)

#3: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip, will check them out. Hopefully a lot of Cremina bits are interchangeable. Have a feeling McMaster-Carr will be my friend. The Olympia site has some, but most are for the Cremina. I'll try calling, just for grins. At least Doug has the portafilter gasket.
David - LMWDP 448

jonny

#4: Post by jonny »

Time to get out the calipers! If I remember right, the seal/gasket kit that OE sold for the Maximatic machines were made up of standard o-rings except for the boiler gasket and pf gasket. The boiler gasket was just viton, so you can get a piece of 1/16 inch thick viton sheet at an auto parts store or on ebay and cut one out, then just size up the rest of the seals. The other odd one was the sight glass seal, which was a square cross section o-ring. OE discovered that two appropriately sized round o-rings sandwiched together works just fine. Google "o-rings" to find a supplier. I've been browsing oringsusa.com, and they seem to have a lot of good stuff, but look at other places too. The only bummer is, you'll probably have to buy in packs of xx quantity. Switches are common parts. Just measure the cutout and lookup illuminated rocker switches. These machines are a pleasure to work on. Enjoy!

EDIT: as far as Cremina seals/gaskets go, here is what is interchangeable off the top of my head:
-steam valve
-boiler gasket
-group to boiler o-ring
-sight glass seals
-boiler cap gasket
-relief valve gasket

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

Where's the "favorite" button?

[Very helpful post, Jonny. I bet I'll be back here when my Livietta needs a tune-up.]

#6: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thanks for chiming in jonny, very helpful. I've seen conflicting posts about the boilers in the Livietta and the Cremina being the same size. Will try an off the shelf gasket just to see, as the consensus seems to be that they are the same.

Have had good luck finding stuff on M-C so far, though the catalog can be a bit daunting.
David - LMWDP 448

#7: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Eastsideloco wrote:Try Cerini for parts:

http://www.cerinicoffee.com/espresso-pa ... parts.html

Some of the parts are common to the Cremina, and Orphan Espresso will likely have these. But it seems like OE is out of the spare parts business as far as the HX models are concerned.
According to the fellow I talked to they no longer carry or support Olympia. Funny, as the Olympia site still lists them as a dealer.

Calls to SF Coffee and Olympia-Express produced only promises of returned calls that never materialized. So it looks like OE for the group gaskets and source/fab the rest.
David - LMWDP 448

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle

#8: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Thought I'd update progress on Livietta.

Tore it down to the frame. The scale was rampant and hard as cement. The chrome bits went into a vinegar bath, and the copper and brass into citric. Some of the internal chromed parts with especially tenacious scale also went into citric.

Looking closely, you can see the melted connector covers going to the power switch. There's also a melted cover going to the stat.

Here's the element, boiler, and group head.

End plate and element in the vinegar bath.

And the pump. Completely locked up wit scale. Will try and disassemble and rebuild, tho there's a fellow who will refurb these for $45.

That's it for now. Luckily had no problems with fasteners and everything came off cleanly. Anyone know where to get a power switch? Would prefer OEM or matching.
David - LMWDP 448

#9: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Pulled the pump apart and the Olympian gods must be smiling. Not too bad a job just as long as you don't loose the tiny springs and balls.

Like the rest of it, took four soakings to get all the scale, but squirts well. now have the flow restricter soaking.
Still life with Fluid-O-Tech.
David - LMWDP 448

#10: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

While waiting for parts. got the boiler and element cleaned up. The gasket is made from a sheet of Viton I picked up on ebay. One of the element isolators was broken, so glued it back together with Glypton.

Once that was done I mock-up'd the hardware to check fitment and double check I had all the right seals ordered. The frame was rust free, so just cleaned and waxed it.

The McMaster-Carr order came in and I decided to try Doug's two O-ring method for the sight glass intstead of trying to source original seals, worked great.

The HX block cleaned up well. All O-rings are food grade Viton.

Still waiting for the last bits. Wrapped the boiler with Aerogel Spaceloft that came from ebay. Not sure if it's usual, but the sample was very powdery. Recommend mask and gloves with this stuff.
David - LMWDP 448