'84 Pasquini Livietta Refurb - Parts? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cuppajoe (original poster)

#11: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Bits and pieces coming in. The Viton O-ring from McMaster was a tad large, but seemed to stay in the groove with grease.

This thing looks to have seen a voltage spike, several connectors had melted insulators and were replaced with marine grade.

It's Alive!

Have been giving it shake-down runs and so far no problems. Got the boiler adjusted to about 1bar, and the HX block seal has been holding. Everything seems to be working as should, so just need to finish with the body work. The replacement power switch that I got from CafeParts looks respectable, also available from Vanelli's in Rocklin, CA. Turned out I could get the steam valve kit from Cerini, so not sure what the guy I talked to previously was on about. Anyone know of a good source for the 54mm portafilter gasket?
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

You can cut a portafilter gasket yourself if you can't find one but that requires a circle cutter and good, thick Viton sheet. Maybe Pasquini can sell you one?

I'm not comfortable leaving those melted crimps as is. When they start to go bad they can be a source of overheating and shorts. There's a recent thread about doing that to adequate spec.

Fire Retardant Replacement Wires

I've also put together a brief guide on soldering and crimping that may help:

Soldering Tools and Technique
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#13: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi Gary -

The funky connectors were replaced with marine grade, and this presented another minor problem due to the manufacturer using the exact length of wire in the harness. The replacements were slightly longer and made reassembly a bit fiddly. Having to re-orient the power with didn't help.

All leads were tinned before crimping. Dad was an electronics design engineer and I've been spending the last 30 years working on camera gear(lots of soldering). Surprised I'm not more brain damaged than I am(could be a delusion).
David - LMWDP 448

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

That's good. The "before" pix of those connectors are scary!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#15: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Hi Gary -

Know what you mean, was expecting everything to be fried. A testament to the build quality of everything in this little guy.

I did purchase a couple gaskets from OE, but they fit a little on the loose side and won't stay in place. Have had no luck finding other sources, tho have run across a couple references that the new Maximatic one would work. Cirini's site seems to be down and will try them tomorrow.

In the meantime there's a possible candidate at McMaster-Carr - 2.1" X 2.5" X .21". The shower screen is 2.12" and the OE gasket is 2.2 X 2.6 X .22 and the portafilter locks at about 4:30. So it seems I would need to shim the M-C part.

Cheers
David - LMWDP 448