'82 Olympia Cremina Restoration - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Boldjava (original poster)

#11: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Now to get this reassembled. This is where I used to sneak out the backdoor as a kid and play ball while my Dad -- truck mechanic, and brother -- future engineer, would work on my brother's '26 Model-T Ford and '38 Plymouth <audible yawn>.

Where to snag gaskets and o-rings for this 29-year old lever? The Garrotts, Doug and Barb, have assembled a complete kit. Talk about simple. Slam, bamm, and on the way to Warrior's home:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Cremina-F ... _3031.html

Better specs than OEM, though they have OEM if you are that much of a purist (photo credit, Orphan Espresso)

-----
LMWDP #339

#12: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Need the Richard Penney portafilter all of you mention whenever Creminas are discussed. Who else? Orphan Espresso.

✔ Penney Portafilter (49 mm) - I bought a stainless steel rather than brass.

(Photo credit, http://orphanespresso.com)

-----
LMWDP #339

#13: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

All of you Cremina buffs talk about the Elektra double basket. Doug is out of stock on them so I checked my other go-to shop. Chris' Coffee. Not much in the way of lever stuff. Who's next?

Stefano's, http://espressocare.com. I order it on a Tues a.m. Arrives from Oregon on my Thursday postal delivery. Good service, priced right.

Here is the 49mm Elektra double basket (14.5g?) in comparison to my 58mm Zocco triple basket (17g) that I use in a naked PF with my Silvia. Oh, what a difference.

-----
LMWDP #339

#14: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Reassemble begins.

✔ Gaskets hold
✔ O-rings tight
✔ Electrical
✔ Group flows
✔ Steam

Switzerland uber alles.

-----
LMWDP #339

#15: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

OK, Warrior wrapped this up last evening. Terrific work, Mike. Thanks! Let's conclude this for now. Oh, and black is back.

and for some more bling, the back:

...and from the left side:

Mike tested the pstat. .8 bar => 1.0 bars. Set. Precisely the band that Doug often mentions. I will probably figure out what kind of tubing I can use on this steam wand pressure gauge that will handle the heat. Would make it a ton easier to put it on/pull it off. As is, the gauge will be my 'training wheels' as I begin to learn pulling shots on the Cremina. P-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.

We have a plumbing shop to end all plumbing shops in town. Suggestions on type of tubing to ask for?

-----
LMWDP #339

#16: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

One last thought for the day. What is next?

Well, I have to hustle me arse down to Chicago and pick it up. Meanwhile Cannonfodder is working away on a piece of Cocobolo for all the bakelite pieces:

2 PFs
a Reg Barber 49.4 SS based tamper
a boiler cap for show only (heat will wear and tear if used during use)
a steam knob

I spent as much time going back and forth on woods as I did on Cremina colors.

Cocobolo, New Guinea Ebony, Bocote, Black Walnut and on and on. Cocobolo it will be - Dave Stephens' work, Cannonfodder. Stay tuned:

-----
LMWDP #339

#17: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

ANeat wrote:Looks great, heck I thought it looked great even before you started.

Does all powder coating look like that?, dont know.. If it was paint I would say it needed wet sanded and buffed out (orange peel). Just depends on how much of a mirror finish you want to end up with.

I do like black though, should go great with the chrome 8)
I know squat about powder coating other than what I have read. Loved the durability aspect. I went with the high gloss for two reasons:

^ An H-B'er here (edit: Steve Robinson, again) had one posted and I knew I had to have that, and
^ I have an MC4 Macap chrome grinder with black trim.

Marriage.
-----
LMWDP #339

Warrior372

#18: Post by Warrior372 »

ANeat wrote:Looks great, heck I thought it looked great even before you started.

Does all powder coating look like that?, dont know.. If it was paint I would say it needed wet sanded and buffed out (orange peel). Just depends on how much of a mirror finish you want to end up with.

I do like black though, should go great with the chrome 8)
All of the powder coating I have ever had done on sheet metal has this appearance from within 10-12 inches. I am not sure if it is the coating itself or possibly small peening from the media blasting medium the shop chooses to use. I have had shops bake the original coating off and then use sand spread out and shot at very precise angles (from my understanding the person blasting has to be very skilled to do use sand on sheet metal) and shops that use walnut shell medium.

My camera does not show the finishes true glossiness / shine. It is like a black glass mirror. I would highly recommend B|Java gets some white parade gloves to wear while pulling morning shots :) .

#19: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

My camera does not show the finishes true glossiness / shine. It is like a black glass mirror. I would highly recommend B|Java gets some white parade gloves to wear while pulling morning shots
And just what did you think I was going to wear when approaching the Cremina?

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

flathead1

#20: Post by flathead1 »

Great article. Can almost taste the first shot from here. WRT the pressure, why not go with
Orphan Espresso's brass boiler cap with manometer?

Someone has to say it,"Black is the new Black."
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152