3 way solenoid valve troubleshooting on a Brasilia Club espresso machine

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jenseb99

#1: Post by jenseb99 »

I own a Brasilia Lady Club.
I don't know if you're familiar with this machine but it's 1985 tank, single boiler machine that has this unusual procedure to use the steam wand; you have to hold a button for like 30 sec (weird thing is that they is no indication of when it's ready), then you can use the steam, and it's by far the most powerful steam system I've seen for a home machine(more than the Silvia, Gaggia Classic or Simonelli Eli). Anyways, last time I did it, the backflush tube and the group went crazy, steam was just getting out from everywhere.
Since then, whenever I use the machine (did not even try the steam procedure), the machine heats up, it's fine (sort of, It does slowly leak by the backflush tube). But when I brew:
1- It's takes way more time for the water to come out (I think it's because the boilers empties itself)
2- there is less crema
3- afterwards, the backflush tube spits water and steam for 10 minutes (and I think it also does leak while the machine heats up, which is why I think the boiler is empty when I brew the coffee and why it takes more time)

SO, sorry for the novel.
I read around and I think the problem is the 3 way solenoid valve.
But I don't know if it's the coil, the plunger or the body of the valve
I could by the whole thing, but I am wondering if any of you guy could help me identify the problematic part.
Also, I am wondering if I "have" to stick with the exact same valve model or if one with the same specs will do the exact same thing?
Here's the valve that was in the machine, not sure if it's the original. https://www.saecoparts.com/Lucifer_3_wa ... r30058.htm

Thank you everyone,

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

You have diagnosed it correctly from what I can tell.
The plunger in the three-way valve is no longer seating, your boiler is slowly boiling dry through the three-way as the boiler heats.
If you can get just the plunger, that should do it. Clean the heck outta everything while you have the three-way off and disassembled.
At $56 (from your link) for the whole valve, you're getting a good price. I would expect it to be more than $100 Canadian.
https://www.espressoplanet.com/Group-He ... Valve.html
Replacing the whole thing wouldn't hurt.

jenseb99 (original poster)

#3: Post by jenseb99 (original poster) »

Thank you.