2011 Synesso Cyncra Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DucaiMann »

Well..I have picked up a new to me espresso machine, a 2011 Synesso Cyncra from someone who maybe didn't care about it quite as much as they should have.

It arrived in one piece with the exception of the steam handle which snapped off in transit so hopefully they aren't too expensive to replace. This one is a single piece of cast pot metal painted black, unlike the stainless ones that I see in pictures.

Is there a place to get all replacement gaskets and seals? I plan on taking this thing down to the frame as it is that dirty and it appears that water has leaked from it at some point in time.

Beyond that, the machine is built like a tank. What a really well thought out machine (minus the controls under the entire thing....might have to move those...) Plenty of pics coming!

The brew boiler comes out with ease. Only 2 fittings had to be removed and a few wires. So easy.

DucaiMann (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

I would also like to install a Dotshot from Alcorn. Do you have any idea if I can just get the shot timer or do I need to get their board as well? That makes it $200 for the Dotshot.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Looks like a fun project. Surprising how many little leaks there seems to be based on the corrosion trails. As far as parts you can download parts & tech manuals on the Synesso site then just order parts direct.
LMWDP 267

bgn

#4: Post by bgn »

Wow! What a super cool machine. Some of the best espresso I have ever had are etched in my memory as coming off a Synesso. Too complicated for my home interests, but I'm jealous.

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Looks like a fun project. Surprising how many little leaks there seems to be based on the corrosion trails. As far as parts you can download parts & tech manuals on the Synesso site then just order parts direct.

It looks like water leaked from every place it could! I'm not sure how that's possible, but I have the machine down to the frame now and will reseal everything properly. I still can't believe how easy it was to disassemble everything. It rivals the Olympia machines in build quality and organization.

Parts are soaking overnight

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

DucaiMann wrote:Well..I have picked up a new to me espresso machine, a 2011 Synesso Cyncra from someone who maybe didn't care about it quite as much as they should have.

Beyond that, the machine is built like a tank.
Thanks for posting the pics of the 'internals'.

Looks like the M1 Abrams of espresso machines!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

Made lots of progress cleaning up today. All parts have been disassembled and what synesso could supply has been ordered.

A lot of the very stubborn scale is currently being removed by boiling in a lemon juice and water mix. Not pleasant, but that will destroy any scale over 20-30 minutes. It changes the brass to pink, but it wont be seen...so all good.

chrisvarghese

#8: Post by chrisvarghese »

If you managed to get a spare steam handle, can I ask how much it was? Trying to find one in Melbourne, Australia and finding it a bit hard surprisingly.

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

You can only buy them new. $200

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by DucaiMann (original poster) »

All clean. Only a few hiccups. Broke a fitting but hooray for USA made machines! Home depot had an exact replacement.

The first piece to go back!