2 Group Gaggia Tell Restoration - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » May 15, 2019, 10:02 am

The secret to getting stuck handles to unscrew is Kroil and a good heat gun. Heat it up and drip Kroil on the joint and wait 24 hours. Pipe wrench is forbidden tool. If it does not unscrew rinse and repeat as it may take multiple tries to get it to come loose.

Cheap functional heat gun: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078S ... UTF8&psc=1

Best bet is to completely disassemble and soak in AUTOSOL Metal Wash this is a British product so should be easy to find. It will not strip off the chrome or nickle plate but be careful with paint.

IamOiman

Postby IamOiman » May 24, 2019, 9:22 am

So this is what €157 will get you from my parts distributor (more or less). I got two original piston racks, a spring (the only one they had on them), boiler gaskets, teflon heating element gaskets, water valve gaskets, and original brass shimmies. I was etstatic at meeting this man, Franco, and I personally asked him if I could send other HB-ers his way and he was ok with it. If you pm me for his contact, I will be giving you my Italian number (but my US number in July) so he remembers who I am when you say how you found him. He has everything from heating elements to the piston for Faema and Gaggia. YOU MUST CONTACT HIM WITH WATSAPP. He will not respond in any other form of contact.

Other parts I will need I can access elesewhere for not much more than what he charges, but I may go back one more time for things like the teflon group-boiler gasket. I cannot understate how helpful Franco was, and is willing to work with you through the process. As an aside, I also cannot understate how helpful my Italian skills have been when conducting espresso business in Italy.

I also managed to take off my groups after some effort. The bolts for the machine look fine but will inspect them more closely when I do a full dissasembly. Without the portafilter one group weighs a massive 23 pounds!

-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » May 24, 2019, 7:38 pm

Nice set of critical supplies. :)

IamOiman

Postby IamOiman » Jun 12, 2019, 10:46 am

Got some more parts today from Nuova Ricambi through their distributor Caffericambi. I found this compay from Francesco Ceccarelli and his 1 group Faema President restore page. At this point for the Tell the only parts I will need to purchase is group related (new shimmies and gaskets), which will likely be done with Cafelat or Brooks Espresso. I also purchased a few parts for my Faema President as I already know I will need them (shower screens and piston gaskets).

One of the more difficult gaskets to source (in my experience) was the gasket between the water valve and the connection to a copper pipe. Many of the retail espresso parts stores like coffeeparts and espressoparts do not seem to have this gasket in stock. Caffericambi sold them for €0.85 each!

-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Jun 12, 2019, 1:42 pm

Buying a set of gasket punches and appropriate sheet goods from your local industrial supply provides a source for those old gaskets made out of unobtianablum.

Looks like Christmas has come early.

Cafelat is a very good source for those vintage parts.