2 Group Gaggia Tell Restoration [Finished] - Page 18

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
IamOiman (original poster)

#171: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I found out my mom has a friend that does custom tables for a decent price, so I'll be doing a commission for a 48" width x 24" depth x 36" height table with definitely enough weight capacity that also satisfies my mom's requirement of the table matching the dining room decor. Plus a few capps...
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

#172: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Well, it is finally time to use the cabinet for the original reason I ordered it. I switched out the President for the Gaggia LL tonight and did a test heat up. It had been a while since I turned it on so I brought to pressure, drained some water, experimentally pulled a shot without really drinking it, and tightened or sealed any slight steam leaks, mostly from a steam wand I had to adjust. This was also the first time it turned on with the new wiring, as the old wiring was suffering from loose crimps since it was before I bought my current ratcheting crimping tool.

I also adjusted the piston height a little, so that the bottom could get as close to the shower screen as possible without touching it. This resulted in removing one of the cap nuts. I had to do this as with the 4 v-ring and gasket stack the upper group sticks out higher than the original configuration, and to achieve the low height for the piston the lower nut had to go. It involves some tinkering with the preinfusion mechanism so that it resets after pulling the shot and returning to resting position.

Outside of the small stuff I am just hoping the gasket stack is still good to go. It is not that difficult to change out but I have none on hand. I also figured out the drain tray actually takes a 3/8" BSP fitting so I just hooked up a SS hose rather than the big tubing.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home

#173: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I noticed after some time that at the point right where the p-stat turned the circuit off at around one bar I hear a low gurgling noise, almost like a straw slurping up the remnants of a nearly empty cup but lower pitched. I saw a very small puddle of water (something like 1 inch squared total) after turning off the machine that is right under where the right group and vacuum valve lie horizontally, meaning there is some dripping from a boiler connection when the temperature is not hot enough to evaporate it.

I dug around a bit and I believe I found a culprit: the vacuum valve I have is a long rod version that screws on in two pieces to compress the rod w/the o-ring and the teflon plug. There was no sealing tape on the thread connecting the two pieces so I applied some loctite 55. I think this was the issue as the two halves were on very tightly, and may have been able to hold some pressure but had a seal failure around 1 bar. I also saw a little water at the joint where the valve connects to the pipe fitting. Hopefully when I turn it on tomorrow that fixes the issue, otherwise I'll need to check the group flange or manometer joints (which I consider to be unlikely causes).
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

#174: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

The gurgling persists but at this point it may just be the boiler clicking and clacking as the small leak was sourced as a different cause. The latter occurs when the boiler is depressurizing, and the pipe for the vacuum has moisture inside that is forced out as the pressure equalizes. I'll fix that with a barbed vacuum valve and some hosing that will end up where the safety valve drains to behind the backsplash. No leaking or steam can be seen even when using a light and the mirror trick
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Jake_G
Team HB

#175: Post by Jake_G »

Why is the stem cocked at an odd angle there?

#176: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

There is not enough height for the vacuum valve to work if set fully vertical as the cup tray would stop the rod in the valve from engaging properly. It's probably not an ideal solution I'll admit...
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Jake_G
Team HB

#177: Post by Jake_G »

Nah, I mean specifically the stem. Is the boiler depressurized in that photo? Normaly under pressure the stem should be more or less centered in the hole of the cap...

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision

#178: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Oh I see what you mean. The pressure at this point is just about at room pressure (like we are talking less than 0.05 bar difference) so the rod is starting to break the seal that seals the boiler. The water sputtering through shifts it very slightly as well. At full pressure the rod is centered and fully sealed.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612