2 Group Gaggia Tell Restoration - Page 15

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
OldNuc

#141: Post by OldNuc » Nov 03, 2019, 6:39 am

Looks real good and will last longer than the original.

IamOiman

#142: Post by IamOiman » Nov 26, 2019, 10:39 pm

I am home for Thanksgiving and have begun assembling the machine back together. I first started with some new feet I bought to replace the grungy old ones. They are a perfect fit! I had to then put in the boiler while making sure the group flange bolts can properly fit through the frame.

The flange bolts were inserted using the double brass locking method (but not very tight). I applied some nickel anti seize compound so the person who services this in the future will have a smaller likelihood of headaches from fuzed bolts. I also put this on the boiler lid bolts (which replaced the old ones). In this process any washers that were rusty were replaced by new stainless steel ones.

In terms of order for assembling the machine there is no linear path to take outside of putting the boiler on first. I have some various pipes and valves fitting but not fully tightened and am just putting on what is closest reach to me on the bench. Even if I assemble the whole machine I will not be able to test it fully until the new heating element arrives. Perhaps if I am hasty I can wire up the 220V elements and directly plug them into 110V and get a reduced load just to test boiler pressure/fittings.
-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

IamOiman

#143: Post by IamOiman » Nov 27, 2019, 10:15 pm

I have nothing to say other than the excitement is building as more parts are added. I did a final clean up of the group flanges before placing the groups themselves on the frame. All valves are also installed. The chrome on the groups is in such good condition in my opinion though other bits like the valves and pre-infusion mechanisim show wear. This is not enough to justify rechroming it all.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

IamOiman

#144: Post by IamOiman » Nov 28, 2019, 1:50 pm

The Gaggia Tell Switch

Summary: if you do not need to, do not open the switch up. Only do this if you absolutely know something is wrong with it or needs a very serious cleaning. Springs will fly away from you and cause headaches.

The rotary switch for the machine is housed on the frame via two screws. On the back of the switch there are two more screws, one of which holds the ground terminal. Taking these two long screws off will allow you to disassemble the switch. Be very careful in the whole process as there are a lot of springs that will go flying if you even look at them.

The grey part is the front of the switch, and is where the locking mechanism for the switch is housed. It is a teethed washer that has two parts sticking out from the center. When the switch is turned one of these two parts will prevent you from turning the switch beyond 45 degrees. There is a green toothed gear that holds the mechanism in place

The terminals are segmented, in this case there are two blocks. The bottom one has two poles and the top one has one pole. If this were a 4 pole switch the empty half of the top terminal would be filled as well. For each pole there are two connections that are held in place by a spring loaded bar. These springs rest against a green disk with two dents on the circumference. This is when the switch is 'on' and allows the bar to create a connection between the poles.

The blocks lock together via the poles, and when you are putting them back together it can be very tedious as compressing these springs and inadvertantly releasing them will cause them to go flying, and may take some time to find them with a flashlight. It was not fun doing this and took me an hour to do it properly.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#145: Post by OldNuc » Nov 28, 2019, 2:23 pm

On old equipment it is never a bad idea to disassemble them and inspect all parts for condition. Munch easier when reassembling and wiring the machine that after it runs for a couple of years and then quits. Contacts are polished with strips of pigskin that is dye tanned and not oiled.

Best to disassemble in a camera dark bag or and old pillow case to limit the part search range.

IamOiman

#146: Post by IamOiman » Nov 28, 2019, 8:00 pm

This is the extant the rebuild will go until the heating element arrives. Then the testing can begin. Everything has gone smoothly so far but I will not be able to confirm any leaks/tightening adjustments untill then. Total time spent assembling was ~6-7 hours, most of it double checking I put it on right/adjustments. The only thing I regret is not being able to figure out to fix up the scuffed Gaggia tag on the front panel. I am also keeping the sticker of the company that the machine was serviced by at some point as it is a piece of the machine's history and I think makes it unique while reminding me of its origins. The groups both have the 8.5 E61 cafelat silicon gaskets and IMS showerscreens. It took a little probing but the portafilters fit perfectly now. One other thing I will definitely need to adjust is the preinfusion mechanism on the left group. It still feels a little sticky even with a new spring and ball, so I will clean that out again probably. Finally it is the question if the mercury pressurestat will not leak. If it does I will need to fashion a gasket while getting a C-spanner to unscrew it.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#147: Post by OldNuc » Nov 29, 2019, 7:28 am

Are the letters on the tag raised above the colored background or below it?

IamOiman

#148: Post by IamOiman » Nov 29, 2019, 10:57 am

The numbers are stamped on the tag while any wording or letters are part of the bckground.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

OldNuc

#149: Post by OldNuc » Nov 29, 2019, 12:45 pm

That type is a major restoration project but there are people and shops who do that kind of work. Google automotive data plate restoration and follow the leads.

IamOiman

#150: Post by IamOiman » Nov 29, 2019, 7:22 pm

I'll take a look into that, thanks! It would have to be done later as I actually am running out of funds overall and I'll need to make do until I begin my position after New Year's. Hence why I also considered electropolishing my panels but decided just to wash and rub.

I guess I lied and simply could not resist putting the panels on. I'd say among the worst things to do when working on this machine is aligning the panels, being up there with the electrical switch. There is no single hole for a bolt to go through but slots that can really take a while to get the panels to all fit evenly...

It looks complete and is the first time the whole machine is together with the drip tray (YES!) but I am still waiting on that element. In the meanwhile it will sport the boxy 70's look on my bench. This is not a perfect repair, whether it was me scratching some parts or other goofs, but I think it turned out alright.

For wiring I intend to order the 12 AWG cable recommended by OldNuc on the interior, and SJEOOW 12-3 wiring for the power cable on McMaster.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612