1958 La Cimbali Gran Luce Automatica (Hydraulic) [Finished] - Page 10

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#91: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Almost there

Just a smol update. I am beginning to wire the machine up and prep the last things blocking a heating test.

I first cleaned up the manometer pipe threads in the boiler with a 1/4 BSPP tap. With that fix done I mounted the heating element lid for real with my Viton boiler gasket. I needed to place a few dabs of loxeal to keep the gasket from unseating itself during install. Thinking forward, the best method I think to drain the boiler will be undoing a small fitting on the lower sight glass whose respective hole is surprisingly very close/at the bottom of the boiler, which will greatly aid in making sure it's fully empty if I need so.

At this point, I need to braze a pstat pipe (that pic below is just a nice fit for the cut pipe, no solder), finish wiring, install the manometer, and insert a cap fitting. Then I fill the boiler and start testing.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#92: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

First Heatup and First Shot

I got all the stuff mentioned above completed. I used 14 AWG TGGT wiring and the power cable is SJEOOW 14 AWG. I used a NEMA 6-20 plug with a 90 degree elbow. I turned on the machine and let it come to boiling before shutting it down and let it cool off over a few hours. I tightened some weeping fittings that were a little loose still, and turned on the machine to pressure. I set the pstat to a little under 1 bar.

There is one leak that I found so far, and that is just the upper sight glass-boiler fitting. I kept the machine one because I wanted to pull a shot really badly. The groups weep a little bit while they are cold, but as they warmed up it lessened a lot. I will hopefully see that the seals adjust and seal fully.

And after all this time and research, I had to pull the first shot today.
I heard a squirt somewhere during extraction but I will chase down that leak later.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

austinado16

#93: Post by austinado16 »

Congratulations!!!

coffeedog

#94: Post by coffeedog »

Such an interesting machine and always a gorgeous show! Thanks so much for your sharing!
Steve
LMWDP #731

Team HB

#95: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I did some fiddling this morning and pulled another shot, this time with the single dose. It's quite small actually, maybe 20g out max with a 14g dose. There will definitely be some tinkering to figure out the best factors for my preferences. I also realized that the portafilter can almost be immediately removed as there is no residual pressure whatsoever when the shot finishes. Pretty nifty. I also moved the wastewater bin to a spot where I can access the front of the machine more easily.

The cup tray space on top is massive. I bet 40+ cups can easily fit on top without hassle.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#96: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Draining the boiler

One last thing I wanted to show is how to drain the boiler. The cap on the Male-Male fitting on the sight glass can be loosened and removed with hardly any water coming out due to the boiler being essentially sealed from air without a valve being opened. This means until a valve or the wobbler weight pin is removed, water will not begin to exit the open fitting. I can hook up a hose and then begin draining it. I can also flush water through the boiler on any deposits that gathered on the bottom of the boiler since the drain hole is so close to the bottom that goes from the lid to the sight glass.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Chert

#97: Post by Chert »

Does Kees know this machine is more automotive than a Speedster?

There is probably some punny descriptor like DOHC for this two group.

Nicely done!
LMWDP #198

Jed

#98: Post by Jed »

So cool!! What an incredible machine and fantastic restoration work. Congratulations, indeed!

Team HB

#99: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Thanks 8)

Volume mystery and the proposed solution
I've pulled five shots at this point, and the last two I decided to measure the weight of the double and single. The selector in the single shot position yields about 19g with a 14.5g coffee dose, and the double shot position yields 58g with the same dose. What this actually means is these are the two extreme values I can pull with the group (but I presume I can modify the volume a little by playing with the coffee dose/grind and or baskets).

What I believe I can do is move the selector in a position between the extremes (sliding in or out) that will yield a more reasonable volume. I aim for 30g usually, so what I will hopefully demonstrate soon is pulling a shot around that volume with my desired dose by placing the selector towards the 1 shot selection (pulled fully outwards) but not fully extended outwards. When I find my dose I can lock in the selection with a screw that I circled in the following pic.

My test bench will be able to flex a little more this coming Saturday when I have some friends from the Espresso Afficionados discord server coming over so that I do not OD on caffeine :D
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#100: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I think I found the leak source. It's not my sight glass gasket, but a tiny pinhole leak inside the threads of one of the studs. I simply cleaned the area and applied loxeal onto the threads directly and that should hopefully fix the issue. It's the bottom stud in the pic.

I think I have the plexi fixed as well. I used superglue after sanding the edges (and made a tiny hole in a progressive crack to stop it). I let it cure for 12 hours and installed it just now. It's a really cool plexi to have. I can fit the plexi (just freaking barely though) into the grooves inside the body panels, then use the side screws with the long #10 rods to secure the plexi from moving.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612