1958 La Cimbali Gran Luce Automatica (Hydraulic) [Finished] - Page 5

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#41: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Thanks!

Cleaning and polishing chrome panels

I have most if not all of the components I need for the body assembly coming in the mail, so I cleaned all of the panels (including the backsplash and some other panels) with soapy water followed up by a damp rag then finally a dry rag (all rags are microfiber). The light panel was gently cleaned due to its thin metal, and I coated it in protective paint. I had to change the bucket of water once due to how dirty the water got.

One of the light brackets was so rusty it fell off after I looked at it funny, but I am using new lights that just have magnets to attach to the panel.

Now that the panels were cleaned, I could get out my big jar of Autosol polish. Polishing cream will not remove scratches easily, but it will definitely remove what I call cloudiness or haze on the chrome surface and return its luster. I apply my paste to the rag and surface then wipe it down over the course of a few minutes and clean off the excess with a different rag. It's hard to show the shine from certain angles, but you can also see the scratches too if you look from the right spot. That's ok as it shows the age while not being completely trashed. The chrome plating on many of my machines appears to be very, very heavy duty so usually I can get the shine to come back with this method.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

austinado16

#42: Post by austinado16 »

Wow! Those pieces all turned out great!

patrickff

#43: Post by patrickff »

Wow-zy. Those pieces look great.
LMWDP #753

Team HB

#44: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

The Beginning of Reassembly

I am marking this point in the restoration as the start of reassembly, beginning with the body panels. I received a McMaster Carr order so I could begin assembling the chrome panels. Before I show the pics I think I got a good comparison of pre/post Autosol use (top is pre polish, bottom is post polish)

I started with the triangular chrome panel pieces. I needed two new #10-24 rods made, which I did myself by cutting 2' rods to 12.375" to replace the old rods that were quite corroded and were a big pain in the butt to remove. I cleaned the threads these rods thread into as well. The t studs had nickel antiseize applied so they do not fight someone in the future as much when coming off, and to reduce the risk of shearing the studs.

I deviated from using flathead screws for the chrome body panel screws that I needed to fix 2 of the threads, instead opting for allen heads. They are 316 stainless steel so I'm extremelly confident they will not rust easily. The red plexi for the light was simply washed along with its bracket piece. Two #5-40 screws were also replaced due to the originals having ruined heads. I am waiting for my new light to arrive tomorrow before proceeding further.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

austinado16

#45: Post by austinado16 »

Really nice progress!

Team HB

#46: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I was waiting for this light to come in, and I assembled the panels as soon as I got it and tested it. It is a $33 LED strip light normally installed as flourescent replacement lights in those square office building ceiling lights, but this 2 foot strip fits perfectly in my light bracket. They attach via magnets so I just clipped one of them on (having both would be too bright) and voila!

I assembled the panels roughly in the order I took them apart. It took some adjusting to squeeze the gold panel between the chrome panels, but I got it in there in the end. I used new stainless fasteners to replace the old rusty ones (I did reuse the chromed brass screws however). The LED transformer has its own adhesive strip that I will install when I decide where to place it permanently on the panel. I intend to wire the light directly with the main power.

I am keeping the plexi as is for now, I dig the clear look.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

austinado16

#47: Post by austinado16 »

It's literally coming alive! Well played on the LED lighting!

Team HB

#48: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

It was pretty cheap too for the lights, and since I have used one of the two I have a spare if it burns out!

I am also starting to reveive pieces back from my metal guy. The lids and group supports are still getting worked on. The broken studs in those pieces have really nasty threads that needed drilling out (and a few remain still!). The boiler turned out great, and the frame pieces were painted (not the aluminum K frames on the boiler).

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

austinado16

#49: Post by austinado16 »

Beautiful in that state!

Team HB

#50: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

My custom gaskets arrived today from Thailand from the same company I got the piston seals from. They look really good and appear exactly produced as specified. The boiler gaskets were ordered in both PTFE and Viton, and I want to try the latter and see how well they seal. These have the correct measurements of 215x200x3mm that will fit the boiler lids with the groove.

The other gaskets as a reminder are new replacements for the u cup gasket in the group valve block, the cone gasket for the piston rod, and the L shaped gasket for supporting the upper group on the lower group casting. I will need to cut the L shaped gasket, but the profile of it was copied from the original remants which is the most important part. Besides one order remaining to be shipped and sourcing a heating element, I believe I have all the necessary spare parts and gaskets. I will try to see what I can do with the chipped chrome housing for the big piston seals before seeking a spare.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612