1958 La Cimbali Gran Luce Automatica (Hydraulic) [Finished] - Page 12

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#111: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

After. Hydraulics seemed to come around the mid to late 1950's from various brands, a little under 10 years after Gaggia started making their first spring levers.

I forgot to show my costs involved in the project, just for full transparency. Not counting the machine itself I spent around $2700 on parts, tools, and help. The machine itself is a little tricky since it was from a lot purchase, but I'll estimate my cost basis at $2000, probably a little less.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Spad_VII

#112: Post by Spad_VII »

I think that for sustained usage the cylinder bases would be better remade off with bronze from billet. Nowadays it would be relatively easy have the parts scanned and redone.

Point in case, is it worth it? No. It is a water guzzler, and the expense would not be recovered no matter what.

I think it is best to have it mothballed in pristine condition as it is now, and bring it back to life on very special occasions.
Thanks for sharing the journey, Sir. Both the works and the documentary material are pro-grade level.
LMWDP #620

Team HB

#113: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

There's definitely some improvements that can be made, but what I intend for this machine doesn't make financial sense :lol: . The brass bushing pressed into the aluminum housing will have to suffice for now.

Also, take a look at the first post of this thread. I made a table of contents to hopefully allow easier navigation of this decently long project! I can hopefully answer any questions on hydraulics with this experience under my belt.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

LittleCoffee

#114: Post by LittleCoffee »

Thanks again for helping us observe the journey. I can't help but ask - wouldn't adding a rotary pump in the hydraulic circuit (and making it a closed loop) save a ton of water and just make the whole thing that little bit more practical?

Team HB

#115: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

That has actually been used on some machines, and I am told by a cimbali tech that the company made pumps for that purpose. It is the practical way to go long term, but it will need to be changed out every so often probably and filtered so there is less mineral buildup inside the circuit.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#116: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

For those more video inclined, a more detailed video was made with Brian showing the machine in operation (and hopefully a good explanation of how the group works!)
-Ryan
LMWDP #612