1957 Faema Urania single group

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cuppajoe

Postby cuppajoe » Feb 12, 2019, 3:08 pm

Just starting a contract rebuild of a '57 Urania. It's in fairly decent condition and hoping to avoid having to re-chrome much, if anything. No major dents, but all surfaces covered with micro pitting.
Owners indicated they had the cup warmer assembly and it is in good shape. Machine looks to be complete. One surprise is it is 110V, will see if the element corroborates that.
The neon lamp is there, but could find no sign of it's power supply. Someone's been at it and installed lamp cord to the contacts mounted on the frame. So guess an outboard supply was kludged.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

cuppajoe

Postby cuppajoe » Feb 12, 2019, 3:19 pm

My first puzzle was not seeing an obvious boiler fill valve, then I remembered that some E-61 machines had a lever arrangement on the backsplash to either fill the boiler or release hot water. Looking at the plumbing it seems that there is a two way valve where the left side large knob is, with the label indicating Carico-Scarico. Should there be a lever for that instead of a knob? The installed knob is not original and unfortunately the valve is frozen.
David - LMWDP 448

cuppajoe

Postby cuppajoe » Feb 12, 2019, 3:27 pm

The valves and fittings aren't too bad, though the manometer housing is rough. Date on manometer is '57.
If it had a gas Pstat it's AWOL. The water inlet tube goes up to the two way valve. Hopefully the frame is relatively rust free.
David - LMWDP 448

cuppajoe

Postby cuppajoe » Feb 12, 2019, 3:45 pm

The boiler tag is dated '57. So the machine seems to have the first series body and grill, but the third series group(Zodiaco).
The internals are not too bad, except for the situation around the element. I did clean the element posts and checked continuity. The element checked good with no leakage to ground. Will pull it for a visual check, as all the gaskets need replacing anyway.
There was no Pstat, electric or gas, or any sign that one was originally installed. Looking at the wiring, it appears to be set up for Hi/Low switching, though no switch. The power lead was cut off, as if originally hard wired to the mains.
David - LMWDP 448

cuppajoe

Postby cuppajoe » Feb 12, 2019, 3:55 pm

Lastly, the group. Again, in decent condition with no ugly surprises(yet). Spring looks good and the cylinder bore as well.
That's it for now, will post more as progress is made. Now the fun begins...
The machine is different enough from the '53 that any feedback and insights are welcome. Hopefully Paul Pratt will weigh in.
David - LMWDP 448

guijan12

Postby guijan12 » Feb 12, 2019, 4:40 pm

Nice!
Lot of work fir the restauration. :lol:
Regards,

Guido

Marcelnl

Postby Marcelnl » Feb 12, 2019, 5:47 pm

Mine has a dial know for hot water and fill on the left too, no clue about it's date as the boiler tag is largely empty. (Zodiaco group, black bakelite knobs, and second series red decal on the glass). 57 seems right to me (no expert here) as it ties in with my Faemina first series brown bakelite handles and knobs.

I'm going to see if I can get neon tube(s)/kits made, will see if they can do 110/230V (should not be that hard).
LMWDP #483

Paul_Pratt

Postby Paul_Pratt » Feb 12, 2019, 8:28 pm

It looks very original.

The front lamp is also original and you are very lucky to have the correct "sockets" still there for the light fixtures - 1 on the machine frame and the other on the front body. I believe they all used external power supplies for the lights.

cuppajoe

Postby cuppajoe » Feb 13, 2019, 4:37 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Marcel - I would be interested if you come up with a replacement power supply for the neon.

Paul - Is the knob, instead of a lever, for fill/hot water correct then? That knob appears to be black plastic while the other knobs and handles are brownish black bakelite. As they used an external power source for the neon, did Faema use a remote Hi/Low switch for the element? There is no sign of a switch, despite the element being wired for one. Also, no Pstat. I'll discuss with the owner if they want one installed.
David - LMWDP 448

Sansibar99

Postby Sansibar99 » Feb 13, 2019, 5:33 pm

This are pictures of a singlegroup Urania I was able to see and touch once - unfortunately I couldn't take the machine with me.

It was in mint condition - and had the same wiring as your machine.
On the last 2 pics you see an external switch - and what I think is the neon transormer.

LMWDP #422