1957 Faema Urania single group - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
OldNuc

#11: Post by OldNuc »

That is a neon sign transformer and the input power switch. Should be relatively easy to fid a decent replacement if you have the neon tube made the place that makes the replacement should also have the transformers.

Marcelnl

#12: Post by Marcelnl »

I'll try contact the signing co next week or so, I need a transformer and tube, and it seems the tube is shared with at least one other machine (which makes sense).

I hope to be able t get a non switching transformer or I will contact someone making my audio transformers (probably will end with a seriously over engineered transformer for neon but hey) as I hate the switching stuff in my home grid...
LMWDP #483

OldNuc

#13: Post by OldNuc »

The neon transformer is in no way a switching transformer. A simple oil burner ignition transformer will do it and is overkill.

Marcelnl

#14: Post by Marcelnl replying to OldNuc »

I know this one shown ain't one, but I'm pretty sure whatever is made new might be a switching supply. Had to look hard to find a mostly tube plasma tweeter kit to start off my experiments....overkill does not exist for me since my Le Monstre amp :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483

cuppajoe (original poster)

#15: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

I'll reach out to some neon people to see what they suggest. One determining factor will be what the owners want to invest in the project and what I remember from researching neon for the '52 was it was rather spendy.

I'm happy with the warm florescent I put in it.

Thanks

David

Now trying to get the element nuts off. Got one off after about a half hour, using a Dremel cut-off wheel, copious amounts of Liquid Wrench, a hammer and punch, and vice grips. Picking up a torch tomorrow, so hopefully the rest will go quietly...

Can anyone recommend a reasonably price nut breaker of decent quality?
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

OldNuc

#16: Post by OldNuc »

I have found nut breakers to be less than useful as it is almost impossible to get them properly mounted on the nut. Cutting slits in the nut with a dremel and then heating the nut, applying Kroil, allowing nut to completely cool to ambient and then applying a 3/8 electric impact wrench carefully gets them off without any collateral damage.

cuppajoe (original poster)

#17: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Picked up a torch and the nuts came off without too much of a struggle.
The element was rather ugly, it passes continuity checks so hopefull a good cleaning is all that's necessary.

The boiler, however, is another story. Was also surprised to find it had water in it. Gonna need a looooong soak.

David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

IamOiman
Team HB

#18: Post by IamOiman »

This might be among the worst boilers I've seen on this forum. That looks like to be multiple kg of STUFF.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC replying to IamOiman »

There's pictures on here somewhere of boilers half-full of thick, chunky scale. Looking like Superman's ice cave/Fortress of Solitude. :shock:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

OldNuc

#20: Post by OldNuc »

That is what happens when you use water with a high mineral content and never even attempt to keep it descaled.