18 Years with Quickmill Andreja Premium! 1st Electrical Problem

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
coffeefanatic

#1: Post by coffeefanatic »

Yes! It's really been 18 years since I purchased this beast of a machine, the Andreja Premium. Other than using filtered water, performing semi-regular cleaning and back-flushing with Cafiza, lubing the joints on occasion, replacing group head gaskets and O rings when needed, and replacing the pump about 4 years ago, she's been a dream!

Its most recent failure has been the on/off switch, which completely locked shut the other day, and considering it's probably been switched on then off some 12k times, I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did. I tore the relay apart hoping I could repair it, but no such luck, so I've got a new one on order and hopefully it'll be here by Saturday.

Anyway, as I was pulling off the spade connectors, the plastic shrouds shattered like a paper wasp nest, so I'm looking for suggestions for a repair. I had thought of getting some new wire and spade connectors and making a splice, but two of these connectors are a "U" type connector, and I don't know if I'd be able to find that at an electric store. I also thought of wrapping the connectors with some heat shrink after putting the switch back in, but that would impede any future repairs, although I seriously doubt I'll get another 18 years out of this machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Those plastic pieces are easily available. P/N 1969632-1 at www.mouser.com is the black high temperature version of that white insulator. If that fails, PM me and I'll sell you some for cost as I have 25 or so.

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

The new ones just slide over the existing, bare crimped terminals. Unless there are signs of corrosion or of strands breaking, I've left the existing terminals alone and just replaced the insulators.

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

Those terminals are shot. The nylon is scorched from high heat as shown by the brown color. The terminals likely have lost some of their tension. The wire is likely corroded and should be stripped back to where it is clean and new terminals applied.

All that mess could have been avoided by covering the steam boiler vac break :cry:

Under a buck in 2006:

2006 Vibiemme Domobar connectors in 2021:

coffeefanatic (original poster)

#5: Post by coffeefanatic (original poster) »

Ira, Jeff... Just getting back from a short road trip. Thanks for the feedback and for providing the part # and your generous offer Jeff!

I'll double check and see if there's any corrosion Ike. Hindsight is always 20/20... It's not as if everyone thinks to themselves, oh, I need a steam boiler vac break :wink:

David