Why do the same questions have to be answered every 60-90 days?

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by JohnB. » Oct 27, 2019, 12:19 pm

You've been on H-B since 2010 & you missed ALL the repetitive threads on freezing coffee beans?? Every question has been answered many, many times over. Please use the search function!


...split from What's the deal with freezing coffee beans? by moderator...
LMWDP 267
★ Helpful

User avatar
DJL

#2: Post by DJL » Oct 27, 2019, 12:32 pm

JohnB. wrote:You've been on H-B since 2010 & you missed ALL the repetitive threads on freezing coffee beans?? Every question has been answered many, many times over. Please use the search function!
Wow, a little grumpy this morning? I registered in 2010 but have only been active for last few months...just wanted to know if freezing is good idea and won't ruin my coffee. I always been told to never freeze beans, but seeking some storage advice/solutions.

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. » replying to DJL » Oct 27, 2019, 1:25 pm

And as I said all that has been covered over & over. Why do the same questions have to be answered every 60-90 days with a new thread? Because people are too lazy to use the search function.
LMWDP 267

User avatar
HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB » Oct 27, 2019, 2:45 pm

Since this question has come up before and is worth exploring independently, I split it off to a separate thread...
JohnB. wrote:Why do the same questions have to be answered every 60-90 days with a new thread?
It's a matter of style, but rather than admonish another member for not searching, I respond with a link and short answer. While asking the same question can be tedious for long-time members, often the first few responses, as is the case in this thread, represent the site's collective wisdom. Occasionally someone will raise a new, unexplored point. For newer members, I elaborated on this observation in What to do about newbie noise.
Dan Kehn

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. » Oct 27, 2019, 3:03 pm

HB wrote:It's a matter of style, but rather than admonish another member for not searching, I respond with a link and short answer.
Which just encourages members to ignore the search function. What I've learned from 12 years of freezing coffee has been posted numerous times in past threads. Anyone that wants to read it will have to use the search function as I'm no longer going to answer the same questions over & over.
LMWDP 267

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Elliot » Oct 27, 2019, 3:07 pm

HB wrote:Since this question has come up before and is worth exploring independently, I split it off to a separate thread...


It's a matter of style, but rather than admonish another member for not searching, I respond with a link and short answer. While asking the same question can be tedious for long-time members, often the first few responses, as is the case in this thread, represent the site's collective wisdom. Occasionally someone will raise a new, unexplored point. For newer members, I elaborated on this observation in What to do about newbie noise.
Thanks, Dan.
As a new member, I try to search before I ask questions, but have and will surely continue to need reminding.

User avatar
HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB » Oct 27, 2019, 3:23 pm

JohnB. wrote:Which just encourages members to ignore the search function.
Indeed. I've considered the Stack Overflow approach, which systematically closes questions that have already been answered with a link. Unfortunately, that may lead to new users feeling a distinct hostility, as expressed in The decline of Stack Overflow (TL;DR - "Stack Overflow hates new users", "Stack Overflow also hates most other users", and "The reign of privileged trolls").

My belief is that if a community isn't welcoming, it risks devolving into a clique of hardcore members who either are too serious or too narrow-minded and a lot of one-time posters.
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

learncoffee

#8: Post by learncoffee » Oct 27, 2019, 3:41 pm

One unintended benefit for these questions is that they allow newer and "junior" members to answer them, and thus be more active, adding new blood to the forum.
★ Helpful

BaristaBob

#9: Post by BaristaBob » Oct 27, 2019, 4:14 pm

DJL wrote:I registered in 2010 but have only been active for last few months...just wanted to know if freezing is good idea and won't ruin my coffee. I always been told to never freeze beans, but seeking some storage advice/solutions.
Hi Daniel,

The short answer is yes...freezing can be your friend, and will actually give you a couple of months extended storage time. However, there are certain practices you should follow to freeze your beans so that moisture is minimized. This is where a proper search of this website will lead you several methods of properly freezing your coffee beans. Have fun!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

User avatar
DJL

#10: Post by DJL » Oct 27, 2019, 4:25 pm

JohnB. wrote:Which just encourages members to ignore the search function. What I've learned from 12 years of freezing coffee has been posted numerous times in past threads. Anyone that wants to read it will have to use the search function as I'm no longer going to answer the same questions over & over.
I'm not sure why you bothered to respond to the post in the first place? I try to use the search feature whenever possible (if I remember prior to posting). This morning I didn't feel like wading through 100s of contradictory comments / suggestions - no hard feelings JohnB.