Why do the same questions have to be answered every 60-90 days? - Page 2

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster » Oct 27, 2019, 4:54 pm

Dan, if your up for a future coding project, help-desk software parses searches and suggests answers to common questions, which should be getting better with machine learning.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB » Oct 27, 2019, 5:44 pm

As a long-time moderator, I've learned to never underestimate a first-time poster's ability to ignore useful information in their quest to get an answer. :lol:
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

jpender

#13: Post by jpender » Oct 27, 2019, 6:35 pm

On the one hand I understand that most people are just a little too lazy to do a lot searching. It's so much easier to let someone else do the work. But on the other hand I empathize with the OP as it's often not that easy to find the answers you seek. Opinions change as well. With respect to freezing coffee, while there is consensus on the basic question there is less agreement over many of the finer points. I don't think those issues should be thought of as "search only" topics.

mgrayson

#14: Post by mgrayson » Oct 27, 2019, 6:51 pm

The FAQ section is very nice, and it can be searched with Ctrl-F. A few freezing articles come up immediately, although I have not checked them for contradictory opinions.

I usually use the search function, and then post if there is a specific issue still to be addressed. Much harder (for me) is to know where to post a question, and if a new thread should be created, or the question asked in an existing active thread.

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB » Oct 27, 2019, 7:00 pm

Interestingly, many of the FAQs started out as questions from so-called newbies. :wink:
Dan Kehn

Bret
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Bret » Oct 27, 2019, 7:46 pm

JohnB. wrote:Which just encourages members to ignore the search function. What I've learned from 12 years of freezing coffee has been posted numerous times in past threads. Anyone that wants to read it will have to use the search function as I'm no longer going to answer the same questions over & over.
I was wondering why you would feel compelled to even open such threads, much less reply to them, when it clearly annoys you. It is easy enough to skip a thread/topic. And I am sure that the OPs in those cases are not expecting someone to answer while simultaneously being ticked off that the question is even being asked again.

Also, something that I haven't seen mentioned (I didn't search for it :wink:) as a reason for this happening: perhaps some of it stems from new members wanting to engage with others here, and it is natural, then, that they start with something that they need/want to learn.

To me, anything along the lines of "only ask questions that have never been asked/answered before, verified with a site search" is leaning towards ludicrous.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Nunas » Oct 27, 2019, 9:16 pm

Nobody has to answer any question they don't want to. We should feel compelled, as a group, to help anyone who asks for it, in the spirit of cooperation and friendship. To me, this forum is the online equivalent of a bunch of folks sitting around a bar table, or sitting around a table in the student's lounge if you prefer. If someone were to re-ask an old question in either of those two settings, some of us would tune out and some would help out. Why should it be any different here? I answer lots of questions that have been answered before; others might find that tedious. Those who find it tedious should just skip over those topics. On more than one occasion I've been sure that the answer was already given and have done the search the OP might have done in the first place...only to discover a plethora of threads none of which were the one I remembered. Sometimes they start out with a given question, then jump all over the place, way off the topic the OP wanted to discuss. This must be confusing to novices. My 2-cents worth. Peace!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster » Oct 28, 2019, 12:28 am

Bret wrote:To me, anything along the lines of "only ask questions that have never been asked/answered before, verified with a site search" is leaning towards ludicrous.
We're a long way past this with the Freezing Coffee questions that constantly pop up. It's gotten ridiculous, the question comes up so often, but it doesn't help that experts have come down in both sides of this issue. It's such an easy thing to try yourself and see if it you can taste a difference and reading posts for and against will never sufficiently answer the question for everyone.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC » replying to yakster » Oct 28, 2019, 12:45 am

Basically, people post before they try.

We could (and have) decades old activity on this forum that has done the hard work and asked the questions long ago. But if folks aren't willing to do the simple work of looking and applying, and simply reverting to just asking for someone to gift wrap the answer to them, it creates this ongoing topic.

We should appreciate the efforts put in by folks who've actively participated in HB for the last decade and not wear them out by expecting them to repeat the same canned response to the exact same question for the fifteenth time. But we need to help steer the newer folks who might expect hand-fed answers, so they're able to become the next generation of active, experienced participants. Ignoring the newbies isn't a viable solution. I was a newbie, even before some posting in this thread. If I wasn't given some kind of positive response, I'd have moved elsewhere away from this forum, which would only have resulted in more of an echo chamber of thoughts and biases of seasoned members.

Rant over.

ira
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by ira » Oct 28, 2019, 1:48 am

FWIW, this is what leads to the end of the useful life of a forum. When the new questions become so repetitive that it causes the old members to give up and stop answering questions or just leave. I've seen it happen to almost every forum I've ever joined. Dan and his helpers continue to do an outstanding job of maintaining the sanity of the forum. It's an essentially impossible problem without forcing automatic moderation of new user posts until they prove to be useful additions to the community. And that's a huge burden on the staff and as Dan has pointed out to me in private in the past, a potentially significant barrier to new user participation. After almost 12 years here I've seen most of the questions and answers. In years past I read close to 100% of the posts and now probably 10% as the others now have subjects that seem to promise wasted effort. I wish it was different, but at least 10% is still interesting, enough to keep me here.

Ira