What happened to "Favorite Espressos" reviews?

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
lancealot

#1: Post by lancealot »

Putting this question out to the community and Team HB. What ever happened to the annual Favorite Espressos threads? I found these threads super useful when I was learning. I thought it was helpful to have some of the most notable coffees of the year, tested and reviewed in narrative form by some of the most well regarded espresso experts from this community. It helped me zero in on what coffees I should spend my hard-earned money on and I also learned about extraction in general and as it related to the specific coffee that was being reviewed. Now that I am out, exploring the world of coffee without my training wheels, I find myself wishing that the Favorite Espressos threads were still happening because I am looking for some help navigating the forest of coffee out there and choosing what to buy.

So in short:
Why did these annual "reviews" stop?
Would other users, new and experienced, find it useful if Team HB started doing these again?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

For those who are new to the site, lancelot refers to the Favorite Espressos series. Did two years really go by without one? :shock: I'll get them going again in 2020!
Dan Kehn

lancealot (original poster)

#3: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

Hooray! Thanks in advance.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Jim suggested offline that we review favorites by type: Traditional Italian, 3rd wave light, Dark Roasted, Comfort Food. Sounds like a great idea! Are there any categories we've missed?
Dan Kehn

Chert

#5: Post by Chert replying to HB »

I like the idea.

We could probably argue all day about categories, right? Maybe a more interesting version of the reviews would be to choose a category and do a compare contrast among 3 examples that the reviewers categorize as the same type. Merely as an example: Classic Starbucks espresso, alongside Peet's Major Dickason Blend and Illy Tosta Scura.
LMWDP #198

lancealot (original poster)

#6: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

I like Jim's idea. I think it would be very useful, both to people who know what they like and for people who wanna branch out.