Webp image upload

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

When I try to upload a webp image (.webp file extension), the error message is: "Invalid file extension"

This format is becoming much more common, so, if possible, I'd like to skip the step of converting to a jpeg to upload.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

What app are you using that prefers WEBP format? Support is getting there, but it's not pervasive.
Dan Kehn

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
baldheadracing (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) » replying to HB »

Not an app - for example, when I want to post an image here that was on another website, then the image that I grab can be in webp format. Admittedly it doesn't happen very often now.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Hmm-m, uploading images from other sites can be problematic if they're copyrighted. That point aside, it wouldn't be difficult to allow WEBP uploads; others have asked about simplifying the upload of modified WEBP images that originated on HB. I'll mull it over. :)
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

I spoke too soon: The uploader used by phpBB (plupload) doesn't support WEBP. While I was investigating, I noted that some browsers (Opera, Safari) auto-converted on download to JPGs while others downloaded as WEBP (Chrome, Firefox). That's a workaround.

On a related note, lately I've been using Safari a lot and I'm impressed by the speed improvements Apple has made (reviews like this one and this one comparing it with Firefox, Chrome, et al confirm this observation).
Dan Kehn

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

That would involve giving all my personal data to Apple in addition to Google :D .

Regardless, I still use Firefox, although the new version on Android has been ... evolving.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

I was a big fan of Firefox for the same reason (privacy protection), but sheesh! has it become a disk and memory hog. Hence why I've looked at alternatives.
Dan Kehn

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) » replying to HB »

I hear you on Firefox. My laptop eventually chokes on FFox's memory demands and needs to be rebooted. Daily.

It's a strange world where my laptop and phone both have 'only' 4Gig of RAM, and that isn't enough for a browser :cry:.