Unread Posts Problems

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

I noticed today on Chrome in incognito mode that after browsing the site while being logged in, when I tried to go to unread posts, it asks me to log in and then takes me to the forum list, not the list of unread posts. I was able to clear this problem by closing Chrome (which clears the cache) but it returned quickly. If I use the back button instead of the unread posts link it's no problem. I'm not having this problem on my Android phone.

It appears that this happens the second time you use this link. I start reading the forum from the unread posts link in my favorites, log in, and everything is fine. I try this from a second tab and it asks me to log in again and then takes me to the forum page.

I also noticed that when the unread posts link is working, browser is not refreshing when I click the back button so the same topics that I'd previously read still show up in the cached version of the unread posts page.

Here's my user agent:

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster (original poster) »

I was going to edit the first message again, but noticed that the second paragraph, which I added in the first edit after posting the message is missing if I try and edit the post, even after refreshing the page prior to editing.

I noticed that once I'm on the unread posts page, I can refresh all I want, I just can't use the link a second time without exiting Chrome or logging out and clearing my cache.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

I've noticed all sorts of caching issues with Firefox too.

It appears browser are very aggressively caching pages that have the "same" URL even though HB has a directive saying don't cache at all for logged-in users. I'll investigate. In the mean time, clearing the browser cache has worked around it for me. You can force it to refresh by clicking Shift+Refresh on most browsers (that indicates you want the browser to ignore the cache).
Dan Kehn

Jake_G
Team HB

#4: Post by Jake_G »

Any way to do this for mobile?

I'm having the same issue running chrome on Android.
LMWDP #704

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

I don't know of a way. As a test, I've added the "no cache" directive for ALL pages if you're logged in. The site isn't quite as zippy with no caching. If that doesn't work, I give up. :roll:
Dan Kehn

Jake_G
Team HB

#6: Post by Jake_G »

Hmmm.

Your post showed up marking this topic unread, but the link took me to my last post with nothing below it.

Refresh on the topic worked, but back to unread posts and the topic sits at the top of the list. Refresh again and it clears.

Odd...
LMWDP #704

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu »

Same here. Having problems. Pages won't "mark read"

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

Noticed this after FFox updated to 66.0 (Quantum and Android). Hitting refresh (Function key 5 on the PC) or touching refresh (round circle/arrow symbol) in Android seems to do the trick for the time being.

No doubt FFox 66.0.1 will provide a solution.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster (original poster) »

My issue with Chrome seems to be resolved today, so far.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Javier

#10: Post by Javier »

I am having similar issues when clicking the "Home-Barista" logo at the top of the screen. It does not refresh the main page, and the topics shown are the same ones as yesterday. This is using an iPhone.
LMWDP #115