Undo "Mark All Read"

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
Jake_G
Team HB

#1: Post by Jake_G »

I spend 90% at least of my HB time on a mobile device.

Let's say that I hypothetically tap that "mark all read" button instead of the "First" button that's right next to it and then can't use the unread posts page to stay on top of what I have and haven't read... any way to undo that? :roll:

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I've done a lot of those hypotheticals ... hypothetically, I'd use the "recent posts" list as a backup.
Jim Schulman

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G (original poster) »

That's been my hypothetical work around, as well. :wink:
LMWDP #704

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

For an edge case like this, I can think of a couple other options: Move the links further apart so users with [hypothetically] fat fingers are less likely to miss, or add a "Are you sure?" confirmation. Or just accept that lost unread marks are a reminder of the fleeting nature of online interactions.
Dan Kehn

johnny4lsu

#5: Post by johnny4lsu »

The "are you sure" option would get pretty annoying imo.

ETA: Nevermind, it wouldn't be annoying at all. I was thinking about the "mark page read" having that. "Are you sure" would probably be a good idea.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

HB wrote:For an edge case like this, I can think of a couple other options: Move the links further apart so users with [hypothetically] fat fingers are less likely to miss, or add a "Are you sure?" confirmation. Or just accept that lost unread marks are a reminder of the fleeting nature of online interactions.
Since it's such a final choice, does it even belong out in the open? I constantly think about not hitting it, I almost never think about hitting it. Accepting the lost marks are part of life indicates a rather cavalier attitude towards the importance of properly laid out user interfaces.

Besides that, this is still about the best forum I've, ever seen both software and management.

Ira

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

I assume those who skim topics use "mark all" the most. I could move it to a more obscure location or provide yet another profile option (e.g., immediately/ confirm first / hide).

FWIW, I don't consider it a final choice like deletion since there's 100+ new posts per day.
Dan Kehn

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

Personally I'd like to see that button gone or have an option to turn it off, it's just too dangerous.

If I had my druthers:

Select which forums to include or exclude in Unread Posts. (i.e., Water, Coffees, Brewing)

Limit Unread Posts to showing only n messages, n pages or n pages past last unread. Doesn't really matter, but I get up to 50 or more on occasion and it's just pointless at that point.

Maybe mark read all unread message older than 2 weeks?

Ira

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

ira wrote:Personally I'd like to see that button gone or have an option to turn it off, it's just too dangerous.
As I noted earlier, adding a profile option to disable it is fairly easy. FWIW, I clear the unread marks fairly frequently and rarely do I mis-click after moving the buttons a bit further apart. But maybe it depends on your phone.
ira wrote:Limit Unread Posts to showing only n messages, n pages or n pages past last unread. Doesn't really matter, but I get up to 50 or more on occasion and it's just pointless at that point.
Now that's an easy change; it's now limited to 10 pages, which realistically is more than most will ever look back anyway.
Dan Kehn

Moka 1 Cup

#10: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I use the 'mark all read' option a lot.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.