Tapatalk support?

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
EABonney

#1: Post by EABonney »

Have you ever considered adding Tapatalk support to the forums? I know folks either love or hate it but for mobile browsing I do enjoy it a lot.

Just curious.

Eric

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I tried a forum with Tapatalk awhile back; it handled super tiny screens better than HB's interface. Other than that? Eh. A poll from More improved support for smartphones in 2012 suggested the current interface is acceptable to most visitors:
HB wrote:To help decide how much time/effort/cost to invest in the mobile interface, I created a homepage poll:

The results suggest that the current web-based interface is acceptable to the majority of HB members using mobile devices. While Tapatalk/Forumrunner have their advantages (notably combining multiple forums), I would rather stick with the tweaked mobile-friendly web format and keep a lot of the customizations I've done than introduce third-party software.
Dan Kehn

mzedith
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mzedith »

Hi HB owners and Mods. I hope this is ok to post here. Any chance HB ever considered a forum application for smartphones, iPads and tablets ? I believe the app is called tap talk

TIA

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

It is Tapatalk. I don't know what has to be done to allow HB to use that. Dan will probably answer that.
Scott
LMWDP #248

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

I merged your thread with a previous thread on the same subject. Now that HB has even more improved support for mobile phones, the case justifying the adoption of applications like Tapatalk is less compelling.
Dan Kehn

boxerboxer

#6: Post by boxerboxer replying to HB »

I want to say both that I would still much prefer an app but also that I very much appreciate the improved mobile appearance. If the app never happens I still appreciate the hard work.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I'd prefer to not have Tapatalk support, it's annoying on other forums to have to decline the use and installation of the Tapatalk app to read a forum that works perfectly well without it and frankly speaking I've heard that the app has gotten progressively worse with upgrades.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mike01

#8: Post by mike01 »

Agreed. I dislike using apps where a mobile browser will do the job as well. This forum renders great on iOS devices.

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

boxerboxer wrote:I want to say both that I would still much prefer an app but also that I very much appreciate the improved mobile appearance.
I've used Tapatalk and it's great for non-mobile sites that are exclusively forum-oriented. But now that HB has adopted a fully responsive design, using Tapatalk means you trade one type of mobile support for another and give up access to the articles, custom search, and the ability to bounce easily from forum-to-forum. More disconcerting are past discussions of Tapatalk's security vulnerabilities and last year's security breach. Unless I'm overlooking something, Tapatalk looks like additional work and security risks for not much benefit.
yakster wrote:...frankly speaking I've heard that the app has gotten progressively worse with upgrades.
Its new user interface favors a Facebook-like newsfeed, which is fine if you like an infinite scroll approach to updates. In my experience, that style of presentation encourages "chit chat" over discussion.
Dan Kehn

mzedith
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mzedith »

Thank you for the reply. I am finding HB much easier to read on my IPAD, Iphone etc. vs. CG.