For many years, I've had a long list of wouldn't-it-be-nice projects for this site. Threads like Interested in being an HB wiki editor? Thoughts on the future of HB
and Supporting Membership?
raise some interesting ideas, but they've never gotten off the ground for lack of time/resources. While this year may end up no different, I'm mulling over the possibility of hiring an intern for the summer to code some of these improvements.
From the last time I floated this suggestion:
- Create a wiki-based FAQ curated from forum discussions
- Update all the how-tos; modernize and refactor them for more friendly browsing
- Produce a bi-weekly newsletter
The discussion in Should there be a forum about water?
has me thinking of another possibility: Curated tagging that cuts across forums (e.g., "Problem diagnosis", "Water treatment", "Plumbing", "Getting started", "Advanced", "FAQ", "Trending", etc). Any other suggestions?
PS: These are suggestions from last year not related to coding. If there's more interest in these than the above, another option is hiring an intern editor instead of programmer.
- Produce a weekly podcast
- Establish a monthly coffee review schedule (and stick to it!)
- Invest in pro-quality video production equipment (Whole Latte Love does this quite well)
- Publish monthly content from paid authors and have them professionally copyedited.