Suggestion: Mark page read

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

I read the forum using the new topics view, but don't read every new thread. I used to keep up with this pretty well then hit the mark all read button, but now fall further behind, currently at 27 pages. I also like to read back to front so that when I read a thread I don't miss a new one on the page that's added at the bottom.

If I could scan a page of threads for topics of interest, then mark that page read it would help me feel like I'm catching up and keep track of where I'm at.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I've fallen into the same problem, i.e., an unread list that's pages long. Eventually I fall so far behind, I have no choice but to click "mark read" for the entire forum. Your idea, if I understand it, sounds more reasonable. That is, change the "Mark read" link on the Unread posts listing to "Mark all read" and add a new link "Mark page read" that would clear the read marks for that page only.

I looked on phpBB hoping there was an existing mod that does this (no), but noticed a related mod Mark Post Unread that does the opposite of what you suggest (i.e., it enables you to add to the unread list). Putting your idea ("Mark page read") that quickly removes unread topics and this mod together would make it much easier to manage unread topics. It shouldn't be hard to code what you suggest... I'll take a look this week.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Your understanding is correct. Thanks for looking into this.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

It was fairly straightforward, please give it a try. The "Mark all read" link is the same as the old "mark read". The new "mark page read" should only mark the topics on the current page of the Unread posts list.
Dan Kehn

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Moxiechef »

I like it a lot!!!!

Thanks for being so very responsive and open to suggestions Dan.

JB

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Works just like I'd hoped, that's great, Dan.

Thanks, solves my FOMO when I resorted to the old mark all read functionality.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

*sigh*

#7: Post by *sigh* »

This is great! Nice idea Chris, and quite the turnaround time, Dan!

Advertisement
belegnole

#8: Post by belegnole »

Much appreciated, thanks
LMWDP #641

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Agreed, a very good idea. Seems like something that the based phpBB should have! I'll suggest it. Later this week, I'll look into installing the "Mark Unread" mod.
Dan Kehn

robin416

#10: Post by robin416 »

I like that new mark page read option. Thanks for that little change.