Suggestion: Mark page read - Page 2

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
johnny4lsu

#11: Post by johnny4lsu »

Very helpful improvement. Thanks!

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

HB wrote:Putting your idea ("Mark page read") that quickly removes unread topics and this [Mark Post Unread] mod together would make it much easier to manage unread topics. It shouldn't be hard to code what you suggest... I'll take a look this week.
To the right of the edit buttons is a new button "Mark unread". It's the opposite of the mark read suggested in this thread, i.e., it enables you to put back an unread mark. It comes in handy if you start reading a thread, run out of time, then want to start later at an earlier point without having to remember where you left off (click the upper-right asterisk button of this post to see what I mean).
Dan Kehn

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Peppersass »

I'm not certain, but I think the new Mark page read/unread features have changed what happens when you use the Back button to exit a thread and return to the Unread Posts page.

Previously, I would page through the Unread Posts until I came to one that I wanted to read, at which point I would click on the link to enter the thread. After reading as much of the thread as I wanted, I would use the Back button in my browser to go back to the Unread Posts page, and the link to the thread was still there. When I was done looking through the Unread Posts, I would mark all as read.

Now when I use the Back button to return to the Unread Posts page, the link to the thread I just read is gone, presumably because it has been marked as read and the Unread Posts page has been refreshed.

I prefer the old behavior because it's not uncommon for me to want to return to a thread I just scanned or read. For example, I might quickly scan a post containing a link to a webpage, then after exiting to Unread Posts decide that I want to click on that link. Previously I could return to the thread, even if I had paged forward or backward in Unread Posts, as long as I hadn't marked all posts as read. Now I have to go to the Forum in which the post was made (not always easy to determine), or use the Recent Posts feature to find it.

I realize many may prefer to have posts disappear from the Unread Posts list as soon as they're read, but is it possible to have a configuration option that would enable the old behavior?

HB
Admin

#14: Post by HB »

Peppersass wrote:I'm not certain, but I think the new Mark page read/unread features have changed what happens when you use the Back button to exit a thread and return to the Unread Posts page.
It was my attempt to fix Text on mobile phone is sometimes hard to read by forcing "stale" pages to refresh.
I prefer the old behavior because it's not uncommon for me to want to return to a thread I just scanned or read.
If I want to refer to a point-in-time listing, I open it up in a separate tab instead of using the back button. Chrome has a "open link in new tab" choice for it.
Dan Kehn

MB

#15: Post by MB »

Occasionally I accidentally hit the wrong thread on my phone, then the back button to get to the one I wanted to read first. Only, now I loose that thread that I inadvertently pulled up (which I may have wanted to read next).
LMWDP #472

Jake_G
Team HB

#16: Post by Jake_G »

HB wrote:If I want to refer to a point-in-time listing, I open it up in a separate tab instead of using the back button. Chrome has a "open link in new tab" choice for it.
I don't know of a way to do this in Chrome or other browsers on a mobile device. Long-holding the back button on my phone either opens the settings tab (in Chrome using device back button) or opens history (in Mozilla using app back button).

Pulling the page from history would work, but would also be clunky... for what its worth, I'm a fan of the new behavior, but I do understand where Dick is coming from. It can be tough to figure out if a post was in knockbox, tips, espresso machines, levers or repairs. Even with the best of intent, there are certainly topics that fit well in multiple forums and are tough to find after they drop off the unread list. However, new posts does largely remediate issue.

-Jake
LMWDP #704

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

Peppersass wrote:...is it possible to have a configuration option that would enable the old behavior?
Jake_G wrote:...for what its worth, I'm a fan of the new behavior, but I do understand where Dick is coming from.
I haven't decided which behavior I prefer. But since I'm all about keeping Dick happy, I've added a check to disable it just for him. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by Peppersass replying to HB »

It works. Thank you!