Site upgrade - Page 3

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
threesips
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by threesips » Sep 07, 2019, 7:07 pm

Hi there. On iPhone Safari, I can no longer see when the last post was on any of the subforums unless I turn the phone sideways for the desktop view. Is that part of the update?

HB
Admin

#22: Post by HB » Sep 07, 2019, 9:04 pm

That's only on the main index page; I think it looks less cluttered, but I don't feel strongly about it. Added back.
Dan Kehn

OldNuc

#23: Post by OldNuc » Sep 07, 2019, 10:01 pm

I have tried multiple user agents for FF 69, 68 and 67 with Ubuntu, Windows 10 and 7. Same exact results, a quick flash of the mobile site followed by the desktop display.

HB
Admin

#24: Post by HB » Sep 08, 2019, 10:44 am

That is really strange. I don't have Ubuntu or Windows to verify, but my guess is that the CSS file loads are being delayed for performance reasons, so I've added some code to request the browser to preload the key ones. If that doesn't work, I could inline the CSS, but that would increase the load for every page.
Dan Kehn

OldNuc

#25: Post by OldNuc » Sep 08, 2019, 11:25 am

I have done some experimenting and what I have found is some forums initially load the mobile site and then read the user string and either keep the mobile display or switch, and this load and switch is sufficiently rapid you really have to be watching for it. The older versions of forum software do not do this and some new software such as xdadevelopers does not operate this way either but I suspect there is a cookie set that may be preventing this behavior.
This is a very fast one, nearly invisible: https://bbs.archlinux.org/
This is an older bbs that does not display a mobile layout initially, it uses a user selected mobile layout: http://www.acmoc.org/bb/

This behavior may just be a feature of V-bulletin.

HB
Admin

#26: Post by HB » Sep 08, 2019, 12:04 pm

This site is based on phpBB and the code checks the user agent string long before any result it returned to the browser. Probably more than you want to know, but phpBB is almost entirely server-side code with just a smattering of Ajax client-side code (e.g., mark forums read, upload images, and voting for helpful posts are client-side; almost everything else requires a full round trip back to the server).

What's puzzling is that I cannot reproduce it, assuming we're not talking about the navigation bar resizing (which is done client-side and thus can cause a reflow of the layout). To eliminate that possibility, as a test, I've suppressed the display of that bar, but only for you and I. :)
Dan Kehn

OldNuc

#27: Post by OldNuc » Sep 08, 2019, 12:25 pm

OK, I will log out and back in as it still is doing it.

OldNuc

#28: Post by OldNuc » Sep 08, 2019, 12:31 pm

OK logged out and dumped all cookies and cached content including site specific data.
Still does it and I suspect it is the way the BBS works and is not fixable. Whatever you have done so far this happens fast enough now that it is not a distraction, might be in the 1/2 second range or less of display time.

Jake_G
Team HB

#29: Post by Jake_G » Sep 09, 2019, 7:59 am

I just noticed that certain special characters are not working from my phone.

Particularly the degree symbol. I used to be able to grab it from my phone's keyboard and insert without issue but now I get this:

107°C

Thoughts?

I never post this symbol from a desktop as I don't have easy access as I do in my phone. So I simply write "107C" and it's not a big deal, but I do miss having the ability on mobile. Bullets are out, as well. Replaced with

"•"

Cheers!

- Jake

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by baldheadracing » Sep 09, 2019, 1:55 pm

I like the new look. Just a couple minor things, neither of which needs fixing ...

1. The MENU button displays a different menu between desktop and mobile for me. Mobile is like before:

Desktop isn't:

I actually prefer the latter as the menu item that I use most often - "Unread posts" - is the first menu item.

2. A sponsor ad (as opposed to doubleclick) shows up at the bottom of the desktop page with "No ads" turned on. To be honest, this may have been the case before and I am just noticing it now:
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann